For my unit 1 assignment, I will be writing a letter. I will be writing about my discourse community of veterans. I will be addressing a lot of issues that are currently plaguing a lot of veterans. Some of these issues that I want to address are treatment for veterans after leaving the service, how the Veterans Affairs Office deals with mental health, what they are doing to combat veteran suicide, and the delivery of care. I chose to write a letter instead of a speech because I feel that many people are aware of some of the situations that veterans go through. I feel that it’s no secret that America doesn’t really treat their veterans well and that once you leave the service, you’re no longer important. Therefore, I want to write a letter to those in congress or positions of political power, pleading for legislative changes that help protect, care, and keep veterans healthy.

Current ideas that I have are allowing veterans to see out of network health officials, having a whole medical team dedicated for mental health, expedite the delivery of care and cutting down on horrendous wait times, and explore other alternatives of therapy instead of a habit forming drug cocktail. I feel like writing this letter will outline some issues as well as solutions to those who have the power to change it. In my opinion, a speech is more generalized and a letter is much more defined. A speech really invokes a group of people to feel a certain way, and a letter beckons those who have the power to make changes, to do so.