Quote 1: “In consequence, when a university becomes established in a town, the presence of this constellation of discourse communities influences the wider urban environment; as a result, the urban environment provides services that are helpful to the university, such as cheap student housing, cheap restaurants, museums, and more bookshops, which in turn further consolidates our sense of a university town like Cambridge, Heidelberg, or Uppsala.” (Paragraph 9, Line 4 – 12)

I found the first quote compelling because it was an interesting idea where if there is a town with its own community and suddenly they decide to put a university there, then that town will be known for that university and no longer for the discourse community that was there before it. The town will now make new accommodations for the students going to that university and add cheap businesses for the students to afford. 

Quote 2: “One informal group that I belong to is Southeast Michigan Birders, and this is part of an email message I received recently:

At about 3 p.m. yesterday three owls flew over Wisner Hwy. As they flew closer to the road they swooped lower and disappeared into the woods. Because of the open fields and time of day I suspected SEO, but thought probably not because I have never associated SEO with an affinity for landing in woods.

I suspect that I may be the only person reading this journal who would know that SEO is the standard U.S. acronym for Short-eared Owl. Indeed, many types of discourse communities develop shorthand expressions, such as abbreviations and acronyms, to aid speed of communication.” (Paragraph 14 -15, Line 4 – 4) 

I found this second quote from sways work to be also compelling because this is one of the things that some discourse communities have. If text was talking about certain groups that you join will make abbreviations, acronyms and sometimes codes that only people in that group will know. Being a nurse, cop or any other types of job will sometimes make codes for an emergency that only they would know in order to not cause panic to the public. This wouldn’t always be for emergencies they could be for games and other types of situations to let only who belong to that community to also know not anybody else.