Q1: “Such communities tend to be small and isolated, such as those existing in mountain villages, or on small islands, or in desert oases. In some contrast, the former is a largely heterogeneous, socio-rhetorical assemblage of people who broadly share occupational or recreational experiences, goals, and interests.”

Swales goes on to explain in this quote something that many may look upon when talking bout this subject which is villages and small islands. I really found this interesting because when I first viewed and looked through this topic of environment and community I didn’t think of small villages and mountains/islands at all. I think more people should investigate these communities and see how everyone’s behaviors are over there and how much different it is compared to a city and populated area. This quote to me is looked upon and passed on to me.

Q2: “I am, of course, familiar with my local discourse community in Michigan’s ELI. I know when the building is unlocked and how to gain access when it is locked, where the toilets are, and who to ask for technical help. I know which codes to use for the photocopier, and where to find certain office supplies, and so on.”

I also really enjoyed this quote too because Swales shows a similarity all of us have which is where we all live in our local communities. I think this is ls looked upon and found this interesting because many people in this topic want to know about other communities but should also mention their locals when speaking on this topic just like Swales did. He compares knowing his community by heart then going to another community and getting lost there because it is very much different from where one grow up in.