ā€œI do not remember ever to have appeared as a speaker before any assembly more shrinkingly, nor with greater distrust of my ability, than I do this day. A feeling has crept over me quite unfavorable to the exercise of my limited powers of speech.ā€

Frederick Douglass was an escaped slave who became an American social reformer, orator. This is a quote from the introduction which shows how Douglass endorses the worth yet claims to be intimidated by his stature. He explained his feeling by expressing how he had ā€œshrinkā€ before them and distrusts his ā€œlimited powers of speechā€.

This quote he used to illustrate his argument by representing himself as an escaped slave but still fell small while presenting the speech.

ā€œThe task before me is one which requires much previous thought and study for its proper performance. I know that apologies of this sort are generally considered flat and unmeaning.ā€

Douglass opened his statement in introductions by conveying to his audience that they are not applicable in these circumstances. The word ā€œflatā€ was being used to describe something lacking in depth. He attempted to gain their trust by ensuring them that he is trustworthy.Ā