Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2021

Shemika Semple, Social Justice Brainstorm

• The social justice issue I chose is sexism. Why because it is an ongoing problem in our society.
  • I learned that there are six types of sexism. Those six are types are Hostile, Benevolent, Ambivalent, Institutional, Interpersonal, and Internalized. Sexism can be conveyed in many ways and affects women and girl because of the inequality that we face worldwide.
  • Question 1: Why did sexism come to be ?
  • Question 2: How does someone stand up to sexism?
  • Question 3: How is our society helping to eliminate this prejudice system?

1. Tanjum

Sexism is a major concern in our day-to-day live, women and girls are being a victim of sexism daily in their workplace, on the train, etc. There are laws to control sexism but is this effective enough to control someone’s actions and how is it doing so.

2. Olena Halytska

Sexism is certainly an important issue, and one that affects more people than any other – over 50% of the word’s population. It may be easy to find research material because so much has been written on the topic, but it may be hard to narrow it down for the same reason. Your first question may simply be impossible to answer, as sexism is depicted even in the earliest forms of recorded history. That said, your second question may be the perfect perspective – what can each of us do to stand up to sexism? As opposed to another paper on what society needs to do as a whole.

3. Joshua Christopher

I agree that this is one of the major concerns in our society and that many are subject to it I also think that the questions you have are good because they are general enough in the topic space to convey your point well.

4. Shemika Semple

Revised research questions because I don’t know which one to focus on yet.
    1) Why are girls forced to act and be ladylike because of society’s view?
    2) Why are girls forced to deal with unwanted sexual attention or touching because they are females?
    3) Why does a women have to be caring and submissive to men?