Quote 1: “ā€œfolocalā€… are hybrid communities whose members have a doubleā€”and sometimes splitā€”allegiance, as they are confronted by internal and external challenges and pressures.Ā “

Explanation: I choose this quote because there’s discourse communities that can be both focal and local. I relate to this because I work in retail on the register where the company lays out tasks like getting customers to sign up for credit cards. I belong to the company itself for employing me but everyone has their own way of going about the task. So like John says it’s both centripetal and centrifugal forces.

Quote 2: “… university clocks move at different speeds in different parts of a university.”

Explanation: I found this quote interesting because I didn’t quite understand what it meant. I am very bad at analyzing things so it takes me a while to think out the box. After reading it various times I believe it relates to the rate at which different departments change. The fastest being the computer department because of it’s fast updating technology and the slowest being the botanist department because of the plants long lifespan.