Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2021

Discussion: Audience in “Mother Tongue”

Add a comment to this post with your answer:

Who do you think would benefit or be interested in reading this piece? Why?

1. Allison

I relate a lot to Amy Tan because instead of speaking Chinese I spoke Spanish and had to be the translator to my mother, and Tan made me realize that I used the ‘broken English’ with my mother but used a more “educated” way of speaking English when I was in school. So I believe minorities and people whose first language is not English would greatly benefit from reading this piece because they would relate a lot to it.

2. Raefeal Luke

I feel that this piece would benefit those who at times feel uncomfortable when code switching. While it does sometimes become/feel natural to some people after a while of performing code switching, there are people that feel awkward upon realizing they are code switching. Embarrassed at times, of one form of language that they use with those they are more ‘familiar’ with. By interacting with this piece they may become/feel more natural/okay with code switching, or more natural/okay with the form of language that they share with their family. I myself felt awkward about the form of language that I used to use pre-middle school, but upon interacting with my first code switching article, it dawned upon me that it was a natural thing to at times speak in an ‘improper’ way and that there really wasn’t a single ‘proper’ way of speaking.

3. Adekunle David Daodu

People that have English as their second language would benefit more because they will relate and learn that they have a better advantage through code-switching. I say this because I had a personal experience while I was serving in the US Airforce base in texas, I met with people from different backgrounds. While I am with my African brothers I speak African English and observed that they immediately feel connected to me by sharing their personal challenges with me. In the same context, when I am around my fellow New yorkers, I strike them with the “yo what’s up bro!” And I immediately observe that bright smile with an open arm which shows a common ground of understanding each other ways of life.

4. Kalden

Children of immigrant families would be interested in reading this piece because of how this piece connects to their personal life. Me myself being one definitely bought back memories of how I was in the same situation and felt embarrassed about it. But it made me realize there is nothing wrong about that.

5. Tais chicaiza

As I was reading mother tongue, I realized that majority of the 2nd generation immigrants went through moments where they have to challenge language barriers and obtain fast opportunities since they are born and raised in the US . However, as an immigrant, I deeply relate to Amy Tan’s mother. Although I been living in the states for a long time, sometimes I struggle to adapt to the language maybe because every day I speak Spanish at home and English when I’m outside. Coming from a country that proclaims a splendid culture and derives from a strong accent, it is likely that my form of speech is not so perfect in communicating with English speakers. somehow I started practicing with the way I speak with others. Reading “mother tongue” has inspired me in many ways. That we shouldn’t feel ashamed of our dialects or how people would look at us or judge us. This book will definitely inspire others.

6. Kamil Narel

I’m a first-generation immigrant so I think that I can more relate myself to the Amy mother. My english skill is still poor, especially speaking. Quite often during a conversation, I mix tenses, or I lose word, just to remind myself it just after the conversation. But even with a lack in English, I have to deal with every day life, same as Amy mother.

7. umme habiba

Immigrant parents and immigrant children would benefit from this reading a lot. The reason why is because immigrant parents will understand how they had to struggle English having their second language. How immigrant parents had to go through so much just like how Amy’s mother did. I can rebate to Amy’s mother a lot. Because most of the time I am basically completing different types of work behalf my parents. In most cases I would talk to people in phone acting like as if they were talking to my mother. Overall this article will relate to a lot of people’s life because they know what it is like to have English as their second language.

8. Anlys Maldonado

Tan’s intended audience is people like her mother, immigrants who have fractured English and different dialects. Those who might have felt the same way as she had, that is, who might have thought that their immigrant parents use broken English and felt ashamed of their English.

I believe that reading “Mother Tongue” can benefit everyone, be it immigrants who are uncomfortable speaking English. Also, those who are quick to criticize others who have difficulty expressing themselves while trying to speak English.

9. Aimen Souchane

Immigrant children will benefit a lot from this reading, because those people will feel fine about using broken English. Back on memories I was in the same situation as Amy, translating to my mother. My mom can’t speak English very well. Sometimes she loses the word or she doesn’t know how to pronosiated. Some people treat her nice and try to help her but others don’t mind and they say we can’t help you because we can understand your English.

10. Nayeli Gomez

I think anyone who came from a different country would benefit from Amy Tans story. This is because it would be relatable. I know my parents struggled with their English when first coming to America. I would translate papers for them and make phone calls. I was ashamed that they couldn’t be like everyone else’s parents and communicate with my teachers. When I made speeches at graduation they had no clue what I was saying. But I still love my parents. Amy’s short story was great and I am sure anyone who reads it could resonate with her and learn something new.

11. Olena Halytska

First-generation immigrants, as well as their kids, are the intended audience for this piece. Every child of an immigrant can relate to speaking a unique “language” at home. Mostly, this is due to the way immigrants tend to assimilate in communities where their native language is often used, while their kids are immersed in English at school. “Mother Tongue” can also be beneficial for non-immigrants, since it offers a rare perspective into the mind of an immigrant.

12. Shemika Semple

I think anyone who is an immigrant and had to learn how to speak English would read it. I personally like it because I came from a different English speaking country and had a hard time switching from what you would call broken English to proper. So I really connected with the story and still catch myself switching the way I talk.

13. Noor Shamanta Jahan

A first generation immigrant like me or any second generation immigrant would be able to relate to writer’s Tan’s experience. As immigrants we face very similar issues of people not understanding our English, our accent. We are often assumed to be illiterate just because our English speaking isn’t like native Americans. People always try to scam us thinking that we’re stupids. Second generation immigrants have to talk to people on behalf of their parents and are often seen embarrassed of their culture.