Genre: Open Letter

Mentor Text: Cannon, Maddie. ā€œAn Open Letter to My Mentor.ā€ The Odyssey Online, 17 Oct. 2019, www.theodysseyonline.com/letter-mentor.

1. Length of Paragraph: The length of the paragraphs in this work varies. While some are lengthier and more in-depth, others are succinct and to the point.
  2. Overall Length: Since the piece’s overall length is not specified, it cannot be measured.
  3. Images: Images are utilized to illustrate how the mentor’s influence has an emotional impact. The phrases “shoulder to cry on,” “second mom,” and “help me stand up tall again” conjure up strong mental imagery.
  4. Publication and Genre: A personal letter or testimonial is the genre in question. It could appear in a journal dedicated to personal stories and reflections, a journal of letters, or a personal blog.
  5. Tone and Purpose: The goal is to convey a purposeful, thankful, and thoughtful tone. The intention is to convey appreciation and thanks for the mentor’s influence on the student’s life.
  6. Effective Sentence: “You were the mentor that showed me that it was okay to be a little personal.” This statement effectively highlights the mentor’s role in creating a cozy and intimate learning environment by highlighting a particular trait of the mentor that had a significant impact on the learner.