Prof. Jessica Penner | D442 | Fall 2023

Discussion: Introductions

Please add a comment (approx. 100 words) to this post introducing yourself to the class. Write two paragraphs that respond to the following prompts:

• Write a paragraph discussing your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns if you wish).
  • Write a paragraph about yourself as a reader and writer. What kinds of readings and writings are you drawn to? What type do you avoid and dislike? Why do you think you lean towards certain types of texts and away from others?
    • Come back to this post and see what your fellow students have written. Comment on at least one. For example, if a student discusses how they like graphic novels (and you’ve never ready any) ask the student titles they’d recommend to a new reader.

1. Andrew

My academic interest is in the business field. I chose to study this major because I am interested in the way big companies sell items to people. Companies stand out and the transaction is made. The way that transaction works interests me. I enjoy reading webtoons. The cartoon art kinda reminds me of my childhood as I liked reading cartoons. I sleep and play games in my free time. I listen to random music all the time.

As a reader, I enjoy fantasy novels with a hint of comedy. I enjoy those types of books because as a kid I read Harry Potter and the book was a favorite of mine. I dislike autobiography as people over-exaggerate to make their life look like a movie.

• Brandon Fajardo

Have you just started in the business field or you already know some aspects to it?

• Suigly Gomez

What type of fantasy book would you recomende me to read? or Do you have any favorite author ?

2. Suigly Gomez

Suigly Gomez is my name. Since I was eight years old, I have been unwilling to express myself to others and exhibit who I am. Some people could chose their major because they had no other option, while others would do so because of their parents. I no longer worry about what people think of me. I began to consider what I wanted to accomplish when I grew up during those formative years. I began studying the piano, the guitar, sketching, and joining as many clubs as I could so I can be able to find what I wanted to be. I choose Business and Technology of Fashion because I wanted to learn about business management and the evolution of fashion over time. I do like to read. Reading transports me to a different world that is indescribable. I enjoy reading all kinds of books, including romance, nonfiction, and books by James Clear, Ana Hung, Patricia McCormick, and Flor M. Salvador. “Atomic Habits by James Clear” is my favorite book. The other habits I had didn’t really benefit me, but after reading this book, I’m looking at developing new ones that will. For example, if I used to spend the entire day on my phone, I would start to consider other options, such as going outside for a 15-minute stroll. I do like to write I prefer to write poetry because I get the change to express what is inside me.

• Joseph Meza

I love how you choose poetry as a way to express yourself as sometimes I prefer writing down my emotions too as a way to give myself some closure on certain things

• Emily Redd

I love how you grew to learn who you really are, and how you don’t worry about peoples opinions towards you. I find it pleasing that you choose to take part in what you find enjoyable such as studying piano and the guitar. I also read that you enjoy reading and that your favorite book is the “Atomic Habit” by James Clear, I haven’t read it but I have heard about the book before, after you mentioning it I might look into it.

3. Virmel Morales

I come from a generation where art may be produced in a variety of ways. like poetry, music, tattoos, barbering, painting, etc. Since I was three years old, I’ve enjoyed sketching. I’ve found ways to advance through the years, and I still think there are ways to go further to become an artist and a unique person. I originally intended to major in architecture, but before the semester started, I changed my mind and chose to major in communication design instead. The reasoning behind this change was that I had previously majored in this field in high school, so why not keep doing what I had previously enjoyed, especially if it helps me explore careers in television, print media, advertising & branding, UX design, animation, and other related fields. In my spare time, I like to read poetry, listen to r&b, rap, hip-hop, and hang out with my friends—who I think of as my second family—and watch drama, action, and realistic television. When I read poems, listen to this genre of music and shows, I think that doing all of these things comes together and teaches me something and expands my perspective on things in a manner I never imagined possible

Although I don’t think of myself as a reader, I do think of myself as a writer. When I write, I feel liberated and able to express whatever that comes to mind, including how I’m feeling and how the world is changing every year, from better to worse. Everyone sees things differently, I suppose. My preferred method of writing is through poetry. Poem writing has a certain smooth, clean feel to it, in my opinion. Poetry excels in posing questions, upsetting our sense of security, and forcing us to view things from new angles while incorporating a variety of viewpoints. However, in certain cases I find reading tedious, despite the fact it improves my reading comprehension and other skills. Reading isn’t my cup of tea, while it may be for certain people, so long as it broadens my perspective in ways I never thought were possible. For instance, in the television program Power, Tariq is a character whose explanations of situations are both compelling and effective, if that makes sense. Because of the way my mind is wired, I won’t be interested in reading the book if it isn’t poetry or changes the way I see the world in ways I never thought were possible. However, if it falls into one of these categories, I will be able to read the book with interest, contribute to the reading experience, and get something of value.

• Declan Peterson

what kind of poetry do you like? do you consider rap poetry?

4. Paulette

My academic interest is health science. I chose my major because I have always had an interest in the medical field. Watching shows and videos about it also influenced my decision. I enjoy listening to music like r&b and rap. I also enjoy watching YouTube, Netflix, etc., and usually try to find something I can learn from. In my spare time, I enjoy taking care of myself. For example, doing my own nails. My pronouns are she/her.

I’m not much of a reader, but I’m drawn to comedy, suspense, action, drama, etc. I avoid stories that drag. I lean away from certain texts because they bore me. I can’t get myself to sit and grasp what I’m reading when it doesn’t interest me.

• Aimar Vega

I agree with you. when it comes to reading I can’t physically or mentally sit down and read a book but I can definitely sit down and watch a series of 10 episodes with each one being 1 hour

5. Tawfique

My academic interest in nursing filed.I choose to study this major because I need to take care people and providing my services.I like to reading comedy book and watching horror movie .I want to share what I did in my high school in class I was reading book after that our teacher provide us hint to writing a essay .I like to reading any kind off book and when I I’m free I’m playing games .

Like as reader I like to read comedy book .I like those kind of book when I was ten I start Reding a book and those book is my own language .I dislike people talking about me in back and people feel jealous about me

6. Jason

The name is Jason Gyening. But my friends and teachers call me knoxx/Jay. My academic interests is computer engineer. I wanted to do something with engineering because as a kid I always wanted to do some type of building things or fixing things that that I don’t know much about. I wanted to fix cars but I didn’t know much about cars cause I never really started looking at cars and how they work till I got into high school. But while all of that was happening I was working on computers and fixing computers whenever my computer starts to mess up I always try to fix it. And I realized that fixing computer I kinda liked how I was actually making progress in fixing anything and it was a computer. I like reading you might not know what it is, it’s called manhwa which is kinda like a manga but it’s not as popular it’s just for people to read. And I like to read it when i’m not doing anything i’ve read a lot of it the past couple years. I watch a lot of youtube and anime but not much Netflix whenever I’m bored. For anime I watch whenever that catches my interest so I don’t really have a pacific genre that I like. My pronouns are he/him

Myself as a reader I don’t really read much books in person but i’ve actually liked to read horror books or mystery books if i ever actually go read books. But a book I read is called solo leveling, it’s a book and a comic, i’ve read both of them because I liked it a lot since it talks about how the world got corrupted by monsters and gave humans “powers” to fight back against the monsters and the main character was the weakest in the world, then died and came back alive to fight back to slowly become the strongest in their universe. I dislike romance books because for some reason it give me weird vibes whenever I read it. I think depending on the person of what they like from past that catches people attention and sometimes the book cover catches the reader attention so they decide to read the first page or the summary in the back of the book to see what it’s about.

7. Aimar Vega

Aimar Vega

My academic interests are to become an Executive Chef sometime in the future. I’m majoring in Hospitality Management where I’m also taking baking and culinary classes and I’ve also been a Line Cook for the past 5 months at a fine dining restaurant located in Pier 17. Working as a line cook has been a very fun experience not only because I’ve been able to learn a lot from the sous chef and head chef, but mainly from my colleagues. I’m the type of person that’s always open to try new things, I see that as an opportunity to learn and gain experiences. Besides cooking I’m also a big fan of going on long distance runs maybe 15 miles 2 times a week. I’ve never been part of a marathon but it’s definitely on my “to do” list so is skydiving.

Reading has never been something I loved to do. I was always forced to read, but Music, vinyl, and albums have always been part of my life, especially being from Panama. You’ll always hear somebody playing loud music from their house. Nowadays people say teenagers don’t know anything about music from back in the days, but if i’m being honest with you 80’s, 90’s disco theme is what I’m mostly into. Of course I listen to modern music, mostly reggaeton but nothing else. Music is something I take very seriously, is something that I can use as relaxation, something I can use to hype myself up and have a great day. I see music as a livid thing. 

• declan

I am also a line cook! I’ve worked in 3 different restaurants over the past 2 years. Whats your favorite station?

• Nekay Rock

I’ve always enjoyed running myself and I think it’s cool how you want to run a marathon. My dad also was a chef when I was younger and I loved eating the food he made.

• Kevin Lliguin

I’m also interested in cooking. I own some cook books to try to start learning how to cook myself.

8. Joseph Meza

I’m Joseph and I major in computer science. I choose this major simply because coding intrigues me as it’s cool working hard on something and seeing everything finally come together and working. I also enjoy learning about history as it’s interesting to see how everything came to be and how things used to be ran. I don’t really read, one of the most recent novels I read was Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. I read this because we needed to for class but other than all the work that we had to do for it, the book itself was a good read since it taught me how racism affects different parts of the world. I don’t have any favorite artists since I listen to a variety of things as long as they sound good to me. In my spare time I either play games or play the piano and I’ve been learning the song from up recently. My pronouns are He/Him

For me the writing that draws me is sci-fi as learning about a whole world created by someone’s imagination is always interesting as well as seeing where they sourced their creativity from. I mainly avoid romance novels since I find them corny or too cliche and are usually predictable. I feel like I lean more towards sci-fi since I’m a creative person myself and seeing what other people have thought up of is always fascinating. On the opposite spectrum for me is romance or just any writing that’s predictable. The reason for this is that as I continue reading the text it becomes more and more tedious since I already know what’ll happen and I find myself skipping to the end just to see the events play out.

9. Brandon Fajardo

My academic interest is in the field of  construction management. I decided to take a road down this path because in the high school I went to, they had CTE programs and one of them was Electrical Installation. In this course, I was able to work hands on using tools to install fixtures on a wooden wall. It was fun to start my day working with duplex receptacles, lamps, double pole switches, etc. Continuing on doing electrical work, I enjoyed my time so I decided to continue a similar path for college. I looked in with my college advisor in which colleges had the exact profession I wanted. City Tech grabbed my attention on what the future can have for those who continue in the construction management field. In my spare time, I watch videos on YouTube, videos that are funny and football(soccer) game highlights and listen to music in spanish.

I don’t read much, that is not something I do in my spare time. However, if I were to read books, my favorite genre would be horror and adventure. My writing is also not that bad. In high school, my writing assignments were always 80 and above. When I write, I like to write freely and express what’s in my mind. I would prefer to write this way when I have to give a description of myself. When I have to write a paper for an assignment, I prefer to write more formally and in more detail on the topic. It’s much more of a restriction to make sure I don’t get less than an 80. 

10. Emily Redd

My name is Emily Redd my pronouns are She/Her, and my major is Mechanical Engineering Technology. The designs and creations of machines always interested me. Being able to take small parts and create something functional, seems incredible to me, but I never expressed my design and engineering interest. I’ve always loved from afar and never spoke about my interests proudly. I learned over time that my interests and enjoyments make me who I am as a person and as a student. Other than design and engineering I enjoy listening to music and exploring new genres, I’ve recently started listening to jazz music and I find it very calming and enjoyable. Jazz has taught me that stepping out of your comfort zone will guide you through new and exciting experiences. I also find reading to be an interest of mine. I don’t read as much as i’d like to, but when I do read it’s really interesting to step out of reality and into the story. I’ve tried audio books but I tend to enjoy it better when I read aloud.

As a reader I gravitate towards fictional stories such as “We All Looked Up” by Tommy Wallach. This book was full of thrilling yet sad moments, it showed how big connections and relationships can be which is why I enjoyed the book so much. I have read outside of fiction, not intentional but certain books I was assigned to read throughout school have stuck with me. Young Adult Drama is another genre I stumbled upon and enjoyed, books like “Monster” by Walter Dean Myers and “Speak” by Laurie Halse Anderson are two great books. I would like to say as a writer I have had a good improvement. I worked with my high school english teacher and he’s helped me plenty with my writing. I do enjoy writing and I do dabble in writing poems, but I still have a lot to learn.

• Heidi

I love how Jazz is the reason you stepped out of your comfort zone. Music is almost a big part of one’s life and it’s nice to see how it helped you! You also enjoy writing poems; do you have a favorite piece that you’ve written?

• Virmel Morales

I like how the fact you put yourself out there into trying new things but also showing us your interest about mechanical engineering technology. I also could relate how I also don’t read as much as I’d like to and have interest when it come to a specific book. I like to read books where it could show me something I relate to or come to an understand.

11. Freyja

Hi! I’m Freyja (She/Her)! I’m majoring in Entertainment Technology. I’ve always had a love for theater, and in high school I started doing Theater Tech for my school. I fell in love and am trying to pursue that. I do a lot of nerd stuff with my friends. Playing DnD, board games, movies.  

Within that DnD playing i do a lot of reading and riding for that. I write the story for one o the games i play in. And write a lot of short points for the games that I play in. I’m usually things that have things to do with DnD! Whether it’s official material or story’s online, it’s a rabbit hole i can always fall down. I’m currently reading (well its an audio book so listening). I’m really enjoying it, and falling in love with the complex sci-fi world. I’d recommend it to anyone who loves unique world building.

• Jason

Very unique that you play DnD you don’t find many people playing it, and i like the passion you have for your major and how you have tips for it

• Candace Gittens Valbrune

When did you discover DnD? Do you have a favorite character that you played or have seen others played?

12. Nekay Rock

My name is Nekay Rock and major is mechanical Engineering and I have always thought creating and building things was fun when I was younger and a way I expressed that was building structures in Minecraft. In my spare time I continue to play games while also continuing to build newer things in Minecraft. Now I want to learn how to make machines. Lately I’ve been spending my time reading a comic book TMNT “The last Ronin” and that’s been really fun for me.

As a reader I do enjoy different types of books including “The Hatchet” by Gary Paulsen and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” by Jeff Kinney. Its kind of hard for me to get into reading at times because I get distracted pretty easily. Even though I get distracted I still enjoy reading and enjoy finishing a good book. I don’t write at all though because I don’t have much interest in that.

• Jason

I love that one of the books you like is diary of a wimpy kid it was one of my books that I used to read and Minecraft is a fun game just to build whatever you want and see where you get and where your mind get

• Suigly Gomez

Have you find other ways that help you to not get distracted in your reading?

13. Declan Peterson

I am a freshman at city tech majoring in mechanical engineering. I decided on engineering because i did audio and electrical engineering internships in highschool. I would likely have continued that in college but i decided instead to work for two years and lived in brooklyn with a few roomates for a year. Although you can make good money eventually, working in a kitchen means consistently working long hours, and hours that people not in the industry are out living their lives. These realizations led me to enroll in college for the promise of better pay, a more interesting job and hopefully more normal work schedule in the future. i chose mechanical because, although audio and electrical engineering go hand in hand with my hobbies, i was not sure if i wanted to turn that into my job entirely. mechanical engineering encompasses a wide range of engineering types and would give me more options. I enjoy listening to different types of music, and love to steal other peoples music tastes for brief periods, just because most of the time other people listen to things i would never even think of listening to. The essence of listening to music for me, besides nostalgic purposes at least, is to hear new things. I think music is universal, and even if some culture’s music is slightly polarizing or maybe strange at first, ultimately all kinds can be appreciated. I do not read many books but i do read lots of articles on new tech, politics(to an extent) and world events, as well as food reviews and things of that nature. i love watching old movies because of the film quality, which i find relaxing.

As a reader i definitely lean more towards news articles and non fiction or historical books. i have read some fiction, though sometimes that tires me out. Mostly, in terms of books at least i enjoy reading things with peoples life experiences, takes of experiences and enjoy reading about how people act in different situations. as a writer, I do have a diary style notebook, which i think most people would benefit from. Diary style though, because I am not writing entries every day, about my day let alone starting them off with “dear diary”, but it is nice to write things down when I have trouble understanding them. reflection for me is perhaps more successfully done on paper than with another person or in my mind.

14. Candace Gittens Valbrune

Hello! My name is Candace Gittens Valbrune, my pronouns are she/her. I love the variation of learning different subjects with their own unique and different purposes to them, which is a big reason why I am a Liberal Arts major. I usually like reading a good book in my spare time, or doodling in a notebook for fun!

Although I’m not close to the level of a published writer, I do consider myself an avid reader. The texts I mostly read are fantasy novels, as one of my favorite things about reading is seeing the little details that make up a world. I usually avoid long texts that tend to be dull and don’t engage me while I reading.

15. Stephon Adams

My name is Stephon Adams and my major is Computer Science. I’m interested in this major because I want to learn more about how to code so that I can create my own games. I enjoy reading fantasy and Horror because of the rush and goosebumps i get from reading them and it gets me excited for the ending. I enjoy listening to music thats calm or speak out to me on an emotion level. It helps sets the vibe better for myself so that I can focus. I don’t watch much shows or movies but right now I’m watching Lucifer and Ahsoka. I also watching youtubers like Jacksepticeye and Markiplier. In my spare time, I’m on playstation with my friends and even stream on Twitch and at other times if I’m not playing I would go outside for a walk and think about more ideas on how to create the story and characters in a game idea I have.

I enjoy writing more than reading because ever since I started writing my idea for a game and the dialogue/fight scenes, I got comments from friends and family saying that they can really visually see what I’m writing in their head. At that moment, writing became fun for me and even helping my grades be even higher when it came to essays. Reading isn’t so bad it just depends on the topic of the book and genre like horror and fantasy like the Five Night’s at Freddy’s series and Percy Jackson series.

16. Heidi

Hello, my name is Heidi (she/her), and I am majoring in Radiology Technology. I chose to major in Rad Tech because I’ve always been interested in the technology and equipment’s X-Ray technologists use. It’s also been my dream of being a Rad Technologist. During my free time, if I’m not playing sports, I read and write. I typically love to read a lot of non-fictions, fiction, fantasy, mystery, and thriller novels. My favorite book is The Giver by Lois Lowry, but the movie adaptation isn’t really as good as the book. I began to love writing essays and short paragraphs when I was in middle school. My sixth grade English teacher would always encourage my class to use our imagination to write so that we could love what we’re doing, which is writing!

As a reader and writer, I typically like to avoid reading biographies and writing satire unless it’s about serious issues. Reading about one’s life isn’t really my cup of tea, I honestly tend to get bored. What really grabs my attention as I’m reading is the author’s word choice and how well they use it in the context instead of randomly adding it. Writing is a huge thing that I like to do as it lets me express myself in a way I can’t out loud.

17. Brandon Avila

Im a freshmen at city tech and I’m majoring in radiology. there’s something about bones that interest me. All my family are doctors which influenced me to look into the medical field and I found what I really liked. What drawn me to radiology even more was when I was in the Hospital a couple month ago because my lung collapsed. You would think I would of been scared to be in there for that reason. But in reality I was happy that I was in there it made me love the hospital and love the x-ray room because I was in there so much. when it comes down to read and writing its my favorite thing to do but I prefer writing over read. there’s many was to express yourself when you write. ending, i want to become a better reader for myself and I know this class will help become more successful in reading.

18. Naima akther

My name is Naima Akther pronouns she/her, and my major is nursing. I choose this major because nursing is a profession that offers the opportunity to create positive change within the community. I really enjoy watching movies and reading books. I like to watch horror movies and I love listening to music the most because It makes me happy. It helps me to relax. I also like to draw landscapes in my free time.

Myself as a reader, I like to read different types of books, especially horror books. The last book I read was “ The girl in the locked room.” And the writing I really enjoy writing always helps me to express myself, which relieves my stress. Also, writing makes me a good writer.

19. Kevin Lliguin

Hi my name is Kevin Lliguin

I am a first year at city tech pursuing architecture. I chose this major so that one day I want to build my dream house myself and make it perfect for me and my family. I’m currently watching The Sopranos on HBO MAX and like to listen to all kinds of music expect country. In my spare time I like to play music and bake but currently I don’t have time to do either so I hope to get back into it once I get the chance. I work part time at MUJI is anyone has heard of that store before and I hope to keep working there with my future plans in mind. I also read manga I currently have 3 berserk manga deluxe books and I hope to get the full set one I take care of my other expenses.

Myself as a writer I like to write and find it calming when I choose to do it myself. But for assignments it doesn’t feel the same. Regardless, if the assignment is easy to do or a something serious it doesn’t feel the same when I choose to sit down on my own and write. I like to write letters to myself but for later down the line in life. As if I was talking to my future self for advice and help or just to let somethings out that I feel like keeping inside. But I also do it to remind myself who I am. I don’t know what the future has in store for me so I hope if I ever reread my letters down the line that I can be reminded that I was once young and somethings I truly want for myself. I do it just in case work and life changes me to much and I forget about myself. But reading I don’t like to read to much. I have reading fatigue so once I start reading for a few minutes the words start to merge together and I start to fall asleep due to boredom. Respectfully I can’t find any type of written literature entertaining in the slighted. I guess manga is manageable but only because it’s more like a comic book then a novel. As well as cooking books which I have a few I can read those because they are teaching me to do something in real life that I find possible. Other then that other types of readings I just don’t indulge in and if I can be frank I haven’t even read any of the other replays or comments. But I want to make the effort to read more then just things I like I would like to step outside of my comfort zone and read more often and not just about things I like but things that I might not like and can maybe change my perspective and end up liking it at the end.

I am Kevin