Prof. Jessica Penner | D438 | Fall 2022

Ridwan Chowdhury, My Writing Process.

When it comes to writing for any matter be it an research paper, lab report, argumentative essay, or college essays I will think about the ideas I want to portray in a way my targeted audience will understand me. For example, in my senior of high school the school had mandated us seniors to write an eight page research paper of topics provided by them. I had picked the controversy of cryptocurrency so in my head I was brainstorming of how I want to approach this topic by a means of being formal to a modernized audience, but at the same time to someone who had no clue as to what this topic was. My initial plans were to write three drafts if which were completely different than the other as one was more biased than the other which was strictly informative. This option gave me more leeway to what style of writing best suites this topic and the evidence that would go along with it however, as I am approaching this education narrative I have to put in more thought into my representation of words and its symbolism. In order to do such thing I plan on reading other references similar to that of the class reading and then analyze which style these texts used coincide with mine. It may seem underwhelming, but it had helped me write in my opinion amazing papers.

1. rchow

ENG1101

Shitty First Drafts

Work on your own “shitty first draft”! Look at the material you’ve generated through brainstorming and freewriting and use the process below to help you form your writing into a draft.

Respond to each of the questions/prompts and the direction at the end of this document!

First, answer the following questions:

1.     What have you decided to focus on for your education narrative? Why have you chosen to tell this particular story?

I have decided to focus on the value of free education and how people overlook such a thing, I decided to share my experiences as a child coming from a third world country.

2.     What is the meaning/significance of your story? Why should people read it? Write this out in one sentence.

I intend for my audience to realize how valuable free education once more is and how it paves our future.

3.     In one word, how do you want people to feel when they are done reading your story?

Inspired.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

4.     Freewrite details you remember about the situation you are describing include people, places, dialogue, feelings, thoughts, etc. that are in some way connected to your story.

Second, review what you have so far and try to label the features of your narrative arc.

1.     Exposition/Inciting Incident (who, what, when, where and how does your story begin?)

This is a story of when my mom had brought me to Bangladesh from New York after my parents divorce, during which I was two years old so my mom had to do her utmost to take care of. It was in the summer of 2007 in the village of where she had grown up Shunamgonj, she was protecting me from the prejudice of being a American child from a divorce.

2.     Rising Action (you should include a lot of the story details here)

As years pass by I am fluent in English with an American accent and getting ready for my first semester of primary school in a very excited state of mind, but as my mom smiled at me I felt a sudden pang in my heart as I noticed a hint of sorrow in that smile of hers. However, even after acknowledging that sadness of hers I chose to ignore it and decided to prep my bag to meet the school’s headmaster to discuss tuition and the academic rigor of the grade I was to be in. After this brief recollection of what is to be done my mom and I head out of our house to hail a rickshaw to the school, my mom had negotiated the fare of our trip to the cyclist in which he had to accept to carry on his job. Whenever she had done this I always saw my mom as a strong woman who had always gotten what she wanted, feeling inspired I smile, but that smile would surely fade away.

3.     Climax (the moment of most drama and significance)

The rickshaw had come to a halt in front of the school gates in which my mind was in a psychedelic trance unable to believe that I was going to school. My mom had lead me to the principle’s office the very room where I would receive one of the worst news in my childhood. The principle, Mr. Alamgir had greeted us in a very condescending tone I did not realize at that moment, but I was scared and nervous and my mom had reciprocated the same feelings as mine. After the very brief salutations he had spoken in Bangla, “Mrs. Chowdhury, your son can be the brightest boy in his grade, but what good is that if you are poor? We have standards we must meet, and you currently do not so let us keep this discussion short.” My mom had just kept her head down as she was a criminal for committing a theft, a theft she described as my hope. However, I just stared angrily at this demon of ego and said in English, “you are dumb and you smell!” he felt offended, but he had no idea what I said yet these words did not extinguish my childly greed and rage.

4.     Falling Action (what happened after?)

The rickshaw home was silent, I lied I was wailing like a spoiled brat refusing to understand the situation I had told my mom repeatedly why I couldn’t go to school. She dared not look at me nor speak to me and to make matters worse my father who I had not seen in years would take me too the United States, I mean I barely remember the man so my preservations were to be understood . I had even more reason to be upset as I had to forcefully leave my mom.

5.     Resolution (what was the result of this experience? What is the significance?)

Starting my newfound life in New York was difficult, but I had experienced so many things not found in that small, discriminating and hateful village, no, here I found acceptance of many and I had gone to school with no worry of what is to come or payment. New York was a wake up call to me that there are free opportunities here but it matters how we apply ourselves.