Prof. Jessica Penner | D438 | Fall 2022

Collin Gittins, My Writing Process

Before I start my writing assignment, I thoroughly look at what is being asked of me.  After understanding the material, I start to think of the wording I want to use.   After I have decided on the wording I desire, I start writing.   Along the way while I am writing, I try to think of writing strategies to use to hook the reader and interest them in my writing.  After I have finished my writing, I will look over my piece for grammatical errors, as well as look for places in the writing I can touch up.  When this is completed, I then turn in my assignment. 

There are some aspects I wish to change in my writing style.  For example, I sometimes tend to wait for the last minute and I usually don’t start making drafts for assignments.  I usually just use my first writing piece.   I also tend to jump from subject to subject without a clear transition.  After reading Shitty First Draft, I now know the importance of making drafts for assignments.  With drafts, I can create a better piece of writing.  I know that nothing you write will be perfect from the first try.  Therefore, using these drafts, I can perfect my piece as much as I can.  Another goal of mine is to make clearer transitions in my writing so that it’s easier to understand.  I also want to start making a habit of turning in my assignments earlier so I have more time to look over my piece. Through all of this, I believe I can improve my writing drastically making for clear and enticing pieces of writing. 

1. Collin

What I’ve decided to focus on for my educational narrative is my brother’s battle with addiction. The reason I chose to talk about this is because it has impacted my life in ways unimaginable.

The significance of my story is to show how you should never give up or not believe in someone. People should read my story because it shows how someone at rock bottom spriled back up to a happy and healthy life.

The way I want people to feel after reading my narrative is empowered. I want them to feel like that nothing is impossible with determination.

In the time my brother was battling addiction I felt angry and betrayed. I felt as if I lost my brother. He turned into a person that I know longer cared to know.  The dialogue in my household became that of  yelling and screaming.

My household consists of my father, my mother and two older brothers. When my middle brother reached the age of sixteen I noticed a difference in his behavior. He no longer wanted to participate in family functions and he withdrew progressively each day. Being I was only eight years old, it was inconceivable to think anything was wrong. My mother however was able to identify that there was some kind of problem.  Hence, this is where the story of my brother’s battle with addiction begins.

My brother’s addiction grew worse over time moving onto stronger drugs. He started missing school and drifting away from the family. Constant untrust and denial began to build up in our house, this then led to screaming and yelling. Little did we know that everything that he said were lies. He tried to cover up his tracks of addiction but his addiction overpowered him. Days went on and I could see my brother slowly withering away. When I was twelve, I finally understood what was happening to him.  I did not know how to feel about the whole situation. It felt like there was nothing I could do to help him, I was powerless as I watched my brother fall more and more into his addiction.

His addiction started to lead him into stealing to fuel it. He would steal from the whole family, but what grew my hatred toward him is when he stole from me. I felt so betrayed and from that day I never trusted him again and I started to distance myself from him. The whole family started to distance themselves from him as he was not trustworthy anymore. This made him start to steal from people outside his home. Once he was caught, he was put in jail, He then went to a drug court where he was given the option of going to rehab or jail and he chose rehab. After his return, we thought it was over.  However,  little did we know that addiction is not so easy to beat.  This is something you have to fight for the rest of your life. He would later relapse and the cycle would once again start.

My brother would be in and out of rehab so many times I lost count. At this point the whole family gave up hope in him including me.  He became a stranger to me, someone who I could not trust and I grew angry at him. Strangely enough, it was when everyone lost hope that my brother was able to fight his addiction head on. I believe that at this point he realized the only person who could help him was himself. He would go to rehab again where I expected another relapse when he got back. Fortunately enough when he got back  the days turned into weeks, the weeks turned into months, the months turned into years and it was done. My brother beat his addiction when everyone lost hope in him. He proved to everyone that he wasn’t some junkie and that life meant more to him.  I finally got my brother back that was lost for years.

This whole experience showed me that you should never give up on someone. It taught that people can change for the better when you are determined. He inspired me so much and made me feel like nothing was impossible. Everything went back to the way it was.  There was  no more yelling and screaming and no more untrust.  Love had entered my home once again.. My brother proved everyone wrong when no one believed in him. My cool big brother was back for good this time and cooler than ever.