A quote from this text that changed how I now interpret reading and writing was:

“Perhaps I should change the name and call this Reading Like an

Architect, or Reading Like a Carpenter.  In a way those names make

perfect sense.  You are reading to see how something was constructed

so that you can construct something similar yourself.”

This idea changed how I perceive both writing and reading.  Before I would read, I never really tried to destruct what the author wrote. I never really paused and tried asking myself “could I try using some of the methods this author uses in my own writing.”  As I was reading,  “How to Read Like a Writer”,  I started to question the text more and tried to understand some key things like who the writer was addressing, what point is the author trying to make, what choice of words did he use and finally did I enjoy his style of writing?  This is why this quote will change how I approach reading and writing.   I’m starting to see text as houses that the writer built.  Each one is unique and made with different materials, methods, and style.  With this in mind, it becomes easier to see and try these methods of writing in my own text to help me construct a piece that I could see a reader enjoy. 

This quote has also helped me to understand that there is a lot more to writing than I thought.  It helped me view the contents differently so that I can both get a better understanding and pick up on more methods that are being used in different types of text.  Now before I read, I will prepare for my reading.  I am now ready to take notes and highlight text as needed.  I will have questions already set in my mind that will need to be answered as I continue reading.  One other reason this quote spoke to me was because I am majoring in mechanical engineering and the quote is similar to the process of mechanical engineering. There are different methods, materials, and styles being used that you can also pick up on. This quote has made me view the study of engineering and the study of English in a similar manner.  It is as if a whole new world of writing has been opened up for me.