Prof. Jessica Penner | D4308 | Fall 2022

Laura Lalla, My Writing Process

When it comes to my writing process, I don’t necessarily care what I’m writing about first; I’m just jotting down what comes to mind as I write it. When generating ideas, I determine the topic and point of view for the targeted audience. Also, depending on the issue as well for what I’m writing about because if it’s something that I find interesting, it would be easy to write and express myself. But for assignments for school, I usually write one draft and do all my proofreading and editing. I sometimes make other people read my work so I can receive feedback on what points are being touched on and what needs to be improved. Then, I revise my writing again and start formulating my final draft. I want to improve the structure and organize my ideas better when starting my essay. Sometimes when writing, I take a while because I want to make sure my claim is clear, and it can just be the writing process in general.

1. Laura Lalla

ENG1101

Shitty First Drafts

Work on your own “shitty first draft”! Look at the material you’ve generated through brainstorming and freewriting and use the process below to help you form your writing into a draft. 

Respond to each of the questions/prompts and the direction at the end of this document! 

First, answer the following questions: 

1. What have you decided to focus on for your education narrative? Why have you chosen to tell this particular story?

I’ve decided to focus on my career interest for my education narrative to explain a turning point in my life where I was in an unsure place. My educational narrative is telling my story of how my life shaped the way it did and to show my academic interest of why I want to be part of the dental field 

1. What is the meaning/significance of your story? Why should people read it? Write this out in one sentence.

The meaning/significance of my story is to show my journey of why I want to do dental hygiene and to explain that your hard work and dedication pay off once you are passionate about it. People should read it because it might solve a similar problem they may have, and it might let them think about if they are interested in their current career goals.

1. In one word, how do you want people to feel when they are done reading your story? 

In one word I would want to make people feel when they are done reading my story is “driven” because I want them to feel like they can pursue anything they are interested in even if it takes a lot of work. There are many opportunities out there to take your chance of what you want and to make your dream possible, to use everything they have to achieve their aim. 

1. Freewrite details you remember about the situation you are describing: include people, places, dialogue, feelings, thoughts, etc. that are in some way connected to your story.

Second, review what you have so far and try to label the features of your narrative arc. 

1. Exposition/Inciting Incident (who, what, when, where and how does your story begin?)

– Begins with my sister at the dentist and how she always hated it but I always enjoyed going for appointments. Which is how I got interested in dental hygiene as my major  

1. Rising Action (you should include a lot of the story details here)

– How I looked up to my siblings and I got to see how my sister was passionate about the medical and how that influenced me to want to be part of it too

1. Climax (the moment of most drama and significance)

– At the end of my freshman year is when I decided my career interest and it’s been the same since I graduated high school 

1. Falling Action (what happened after?)                                          

I joined the medical assisting program in high school and interned at futures and options, which developed my working skills and showed professionalism. I also interned at Mount Sinai Beth Israel, and I got to do hands-on activities to see how hospitals operate and what daily life is like, especially the role of a PA.  

1. Resolution (what was the result of this experience? What is the significance?)
    • By the time I graduated high school I became a certified clinical medical assistant. I also got into the college I wanted to pursue my dreams as becoming a dental hygienist. 

Finally, on a new piece of paper (or a new screen) use all the writing and thinking you have done to draft your education narrative.