(late) Journal Entry week 4

The sensor I am going to talk about is an EMG/EKG sensor. What is an EMG sensor you ask? STOP being lazy and read my other post but here is a video that should help out if your still not going to read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VnrsWdA6dzE

I have chosen a sensor I found on spark fun that I believe will fit my needs just fine

11776-03_medium

Features:

• Small Form Factor
  • Specially Designed For Microcontrollers
  • Adjustable Gain
  • 3.5mm Connector
  • Breadboard Compatible
  • Power supply voltage: min. +-3.5V

Includes:

• Muscle Sensor Board
  • 24″ Cable Leads
  • 6 Disposable Surface Electrodes

This sensor will measure the filtered and rectified electrical activity of a muscle; outputting 0-Vs Volts depending the amount of activity in the selected muscle, where Vs signifies the voltage of the power source.

So in other words stick on a few electrodes and start flexing those muscles…lol.

One thing I need to be mindful of is that EMG signals are only in the 20-30 mV maximum range, so I need to boost the signals into the range that Arduino can use = 0-5V.

One Response to (late) Journal Entry week 4

1. 37337 says:

So ostensibly, one could power low-level (low-draw) electronic stuff just by flexing? Very cool! Can see this being implemented in future iterations of technology to reclaim lost energy from the physical motion of the body, within something like the army cyborg suits we have now.