Week 3 Journal – Randi Sobhan

Looking at my two previous posts I can see that I’m interested in machinery. Both my of journals had Arduino being used to control some sort of machine. Its probably over my head but for my project I would like to have a device using Arduino the requires human interaction multiple times, not something where the user hits run and does nothing more. Basically something that has multiple commands  and is requires someone to input them for the device to work.

I think its more satisfying to the user when the program requires feedback from them such as the touchscreen on an ipad. One feels they have more control over the product.

Having something that constantly reacts to the environment also seems interesting. Being a a dj I have some lights that can move to the beat of the music which is nice. The downside to this is that when the music gets too loud the movement of the lights seem random and out of beat. I would like to design a light where one can adjust the microphone sensitivity and what frequency the mic is sensitive to.

Overall, I think I am interested in products that are constantly adapting whether it is through user input or sensors on the device.

4 Responses to Week 3 Journal – Randi Sobhan

1. stevejc says:

That would be a sick invention.

2. Frank Mason says:

Wow, I really enjoy seeing your point of view of Arduino and I am very interested to see where you could be going with it. Hopefully in the future we could create a world where not only can AI be programmed to function according to the input of the user, but interact, communicate and learn from humans as if the AI was another human. AI in that sense could adapt to its circumstances and learn from prior interactions and experiences with humans.

I hope these links can help you learn more about what you want to with Arduino and for your final project.

3. Randi Sobhan says:

I agree, I think in the future programs will be able to update themselves based on their interactions with humans and the environment. It will be able to evaluate its faults within its programming and fix them.

4. TEKKNEO says:

Bridging the gap between technology and music is always something that fascinated me. Relating to dj’ing, imagine if you could control sections of the dance floor to light up (kind of like Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” video) while playing different songs. You can start a dance battle kind of thing where half the floor is lit up red and the other blue. There could be a call-and-response kind of sequence. You’re in control of the music AND the lights, at the same time, and finally there’ll be more interaction with the audience.