What is the OpenLab?
The OpenLab is City Tech’s open online community. It’s designed to support teaching, learning, and collaboration, and can be used by everyone at the college.
- Open: Unlike traditional closed teaching platforms, the OpenLab allows members to share their work across the college and with the world.
- Lab: Like a lab, the OpenLab provides a virtual space where students, faculty, staff, and alumni can work together, experiment, and innovate.
What can you use it for?
- Courses: The OpenLab is used in hundreds of courses each semester, from Dental Hygiene to Hospitality Management, English to Entertainment Technology.
- Projects: Students use the OpenLab for individual and group projects; faculty and staff use it for projects of all kinds.
- Clubs are used by formal clubs that are supported by the Student Government Association and by informal groups; examples are Girls Who Code and the Hospitality Management Ambassadors Club.
- Portfolios: Portfolios are sites where students, faculty, and staff can showcase their work. Everyone can create a portfolio, which is linked from their OpenLab profile page.
- The OpenLab is also City Tech’s platform for Open Educational Resources, open course materials that are free to use.
Why use the OpenLab?
- It’s open:
- You can share your work with others at City Tech and beyond;
- You can see and learn from the work that students are doing in other classes;
- You can use free, open course materials.
- It’s useful:
- The OpenLab runs on WordPress, an open source publishing platform that powers over 35% of sites on the internet;
- Using it gives you experience in presenting yourself online and helps you learn valuable digital skills.
- It’s a community:
- You can use it to connect, collaborate, and network with other students, faculty, and staff
- That’s especially important when the campus is closed!
- It’s yours:
Take a look around!
Thousands of students use the OpenLab every year and share their work in Courses, Projects, Clubs, and Portfolios. Many of these are open to the public – that means you can check them out!
Try it now! In a new tab, go to the Courses directory and take a look around. You can use the Search area at the right to search for courses in departments you’re interested in. If a course is open, you’ll see a “Visit Site” link under the course avatar.
When you’re done, return to this tutorial and check out the next section “Get Started” to set up your OpenLab account.