For this project we explored using layering and transparencies to push our design concepts further. We learned how to use layering to create depth in a composition and how to use shadowing to further indicate where elements are in our composition. By using transparency, you can create a composition between two or more images to push your design to the next level and combine two different concepts or ideas into one. For the first part of the project, I enjoyed using illustrator to create a collage using layering and transparencies by using a triad palette. I had seen an artist online work in only shades of grey before applying all her color later so I thought I would start with a complementary palette and use the same technique in order to lay out all of my shapes and elements before finalizing the color and then have a better understanding and control when it came to add the third color of the triad palette. I liked the idea of mapping out color beforehand and working more color into the composition as I went.  

For the second part of the project, I tried to learn and absorb as much as I could since I am an extremely novice user of Photoshop. Along with my group we decided on a tropical/urban mashup theme. I don’t think I was successful in creating the original vision for the image that I had set out to do. It was extremely frustrating to work in Photoshop and it hindered my creative process to have to stop every other minute to go search for a tutorial to watch so that I could learn to do what I wanted to. I became enraged and very impatient, and I hope that my final piece is acceptable even though it is not perfect.