Carol Diamond | OL04 | Spr 2022

Adriana Carhuamaca Project 2: Curious Compositions

For this project, we made a mind map of curiosity about what we think, what makes us feel, or what represents curiosity. I connected many words to the concept of curiosity, and I selected “Mystery,” “Universe,” and “Explore.” Ones of Curiosity for me is to explore the world, meet new people, new places to visit that I have never gone to before. I am curious about the universe that I don’t know if the other people discovered more about the planets or hidden it for us. Mystery in books, history books, fiction books, suspense books, and historical books, some are real or imaginary, they wrote books because was a historical moment that we can learn from the past. Still, we don’t know what the books said are 100% real what they wrote. Maybe they added a slight exaggeration, or maybe not?

First, we made 36 thumbnail sketches using both stable and ambiguous figure-ground compositions for those three words from our mind map. Then, I represented the word using geometric and organic shapes using just a figure. We chose the best six designs, one stable and one ambiguous, for each concept and refined them. After that, we showed our drawings in groups to get feedback and choose which ones to utilize for our final pieces.
Finally, we redraw the final refined sketches and deliver them using ink and bristol paper.

Overall, this project helped me learn and challenge at the same time having to create design and analyze to know what is type represents and for the ambiguous figure-ground compositions, how to make that ambiguity, how to interchange the figure and the ground.
I loved how the designs can play with our minds and know what they represent.

1. Anthony Bermejo Vazquez

Each drawing is really well designed especially the ambiguous drawings as one cannot really tell what is going on and they are bleeding off the edge which makes the statement of being ambiguous very true. The stable drawings show off the image rather well and focus on the item in the frame in the proper ratio for sizes and allows for the viewer to enjoy them.