In this project I visualized my curiosity through figure-ground compositions using organic shape. The shapes could be represented in two ways, stable-figure ground and ambiguous-figure ground. Stable figure-ground relationships develop a clear distinction between the figure and the ground whereas ambiguous figure-ground relationships do not. In phase one I created a mind map exploring the concept of curiosity, capturing what it meant to me, how it made me feel, and what I wanted to know more about. From here I chose three ideas that I felt strongly captured what curiosity represented to me, “danger”, “mystery”, and “uncovered”. In the next phase I used these three words to create both stable and ambiguous figure-ground composition iterations. I was able to explore figure positioning such as cropping and floating and was also able to play around with choosing which areas were white and black. 

In the beginning of the third phase I consulted with peers about my thumbnail sketches, figuring out which thumbnails offered the most variety and were the strongest. I chose six thumbnail sketches, three stable and three ambiguous, two for each of my categories. In the final stage I made minor changes to my thumbnails based on feedback I received. I wanted my stable compositions to be more distinct and I achieved this with the placement of my organic shapes. I felt confident with my ambiguous compositions only zooming in and adding a personal touch to one. 

Overall Project 2 was gratifying, I was able to exercise my drawing skills which I enjoyed. It gave me the opportunity to see things differently and to understand that figure-ground compositions, whether stable or ambiguous, make up a lot of marketing advertisements. Ambiguous figure-ground compositions were my favorite to create as well as look at because they are like a game for the eyes. I will most definitely add this style to my personal sketchbook drawings in the future.