In this project I explored the different ways to express the design element of line.  Creating abstract line compositions by using three types of geometric line that originate from circles (arcs), triangles (diagonals), and squares (horizontal and verticals). In phase one I created three sketchpages experimenting with the three types of line independently as well as created an ideation list using the words “power” and “fragility”. I was able to get myself acquainted with line better and understood that the outcomes were endless. In the second phase I created thumbnails using my ideation list, I had to evoke the feelings of the word without creating subject representations. This gave me the opportunity to go a step further from my sketches, it was challenging at times trying to create for the specific words on my list.

In the third phase I had to define my thumbnail sketches into frames, using drafting tools and pens to get clean designs. Using the tools was very difficult for me in the small frames, I felt like I wasn’t able to see the bigger picture of what I was trying to create. Finally, in phase four I created larger thumbnails with my final representations. By this time I felt a lot better about what I was producing, I made sure to go as slow as possible when using my tools and pens to create clean work. In this phase I found that I changed my mind a lot about which thumbnails I wanted to use. I knew that once I used pen my ideas were final and I could only build on them from there. 

Overall, Project 1 allowed me to see line in a different way, and it made me appreciate abstract art a lot more. I got a better sense of how lines are used and appear in creations all around us. I have more respect for abstract art, having to create without producing specific objects or subjects is just as powerful if not more than art that does as it offers a challenge. I learned a lot about how using negative and positive shape, line density, and cropping can elevate your work.