Week 3

“The Pilgrims”

My favorite scene from the pilgrims was the arrival at Plymouth Rock. It allowed me to witness the Pilgrims as they set foot on American soil after a long and treacherous journey across the Atlantic Ocean. The Pilgrims’ arrival at Plymouth Rock also marked the beginning of their interactions with Native Americans, particularly the Wampanoag. A crucial aspect of the documentary is the encounter and the subsequent cooperation and tension that developed.

William Bradford’s History of Plymouth Plantation

I find William Bradford’s portrayal of the first Thanksgiving in 1621 to be one of the most captivating parts of his “History of Plymouth Plantation.”. A symbol of cooperation and cultural exchange between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag, a Native American tribe living in the region, the first Thanksgiving is often viewed as a symbol of cooperation. As Bradford describes, Massasoit, the leader of the Wampanoag people, helped the struggling Pilgrims by providing them with agricultural knowledge, hunting skills, and other survival knowledge. In early American history, cross-cultural interactions played a key role.

1. Mark Noonan

Excellent commentary Nia. Be sure, however, to post correctly. Simply go to “comments” at the top of my weekly post. Type in your comment and “publish.”