Blog #4

NYPIRG Chapter Meeting

Stephen Brinson is responsible for coordinating with NYPIRG design collaboration. He replied to my email on the same day and asked if I could attend their chapter meeting on efforts to legislate for consumer protection and update their other activities. And meet after and talk about what the internship would entail. I gladly agree to attend their chapter meeting.

On Thursday at noon, I arrived at the location smoothly. And I also met Stephen himself and know that this meeting was hosted by him. He is a very enthusiastic and friendly person. In the meeting room, I met classmates from COMD who had previously taken classes together. It seems that they are interning here.

Before the speech begins, Stephen first introduces himself. Then let’s introduce ourselves with a formula that combines name, profession, and what we had for breakfast. After everyone introduced themselves one by one, Stephen Mention has a coming event called March in March, which is on Friday, March 16, at City Hall to Brooklyn Borough Hall This event is about higher education, calling for people to receive higher education and helping them achieve it. I’m a bit interested in this event, but unfortunately, it doesn’t match my schedule.

This chapter meeting is a summary of work because, after a classmate’s design campaign, Stephen will ask that classmate to talk about his work and design. His design theme is the Green Transition and the Green Jobs Act. The overall design style is very in line with his theme, and I believe that his design is feasible. At least one of the elements required for a campaign is included in his design. Another classmate is still in the research stage, so I didn’t see his design. He just put some summaries in the PowerPoint of the speech.

After the chapter meeting, Stephen took us to his office. I saw that my classmates’ belongings are all in this office, which indicates that if I have the opportunity to intern here, then I should be working in this office during the internship. The workspace is filled with various print posters or hand-drawn posters. Stephen gave a general introduction to NYPIRG and its job responsibilities. And introduced the issue areas that the students who are already interning are responsible for. In NYPIRG, there are a total of 7 different critical issues, namely Voting Rights, Energy & Environment, Government Accountability, Public Health, Consumer Protection, Higher Education Affordability, and NYC Mass Transit. I thought Stephen would ask us some questions, but he didn’t. Just asked me to send him an email at the end about my schedule and the issues he is interested in.

After I got home, I sent an email to Stephen. My interests are Energy & Environment, Public Health, and Consumer Protection. The degree of interest is from left to right, and the further left I am, the more interested I am.