Blog #2

OHG Event

The speaker’s name is Samantha or call her Samii, and her partner is Lola. Samii was also a student of Citytech majoring in COMD. At the beginning of the speech, she asked us if we knew what ohg was, but we all didn’t very know about it. Then she joked that Ohg is not an insurance company and started introducing it.

OHG full spelling Omnicom Health Group,  is a network of diverse, healthcare‑focused companies with a common purpose–to change lives for good. Their network has cooperated with 25 different agencies and is global. They have various departments and their design departments has 200+ employees working together.  The OHG design department is the community bridge between doctors and patients. They focus on medical products, women’s health, and birth control. Samii has mentioned function data and technical. She said their team would sometimes use Chat GPT and AI, but that was used just to keep them in the right direction. People easily forget or miss information when they work too hard and for a long period, they would need strong technology to help them organize information. 

Samii had to introduce how they work in the realist and ohg workplace. She notices that she is the account manager of her team. She often needs to communicate with the agency and report on the progress of her speeches. In OHG, this job is usually done by more outgoing people because they want everyone to work in a comfortable position as much as possible. In the work environment, different departments often walk around and help each other, maintaining smooth communication. Regarding the working mode. Ohg prefers to work as a hybrid, which is a combination of online and in-person. Of course, they also welcome remote work.

Samii showed us the latest projects of the OHG design team. She asked us how many ideas do you think we had before completing this project. Some of us in the audience answered 10 ideas, and Samii shook his head and said that the number could be higher. Afterward, there was someone to guess, 15, 20, and 30, but Samii continued to shake her head and deny the answer. Finally, she revealed the answer, stating that by the time they reached the final design, their group had at least 50+ ideas in total. The smallest idea could be the font or the distance between different elements, while the largest idea could be the layout or the main objective of the visual. Any idea will affect the final design outcome, but no design idea or decision will be the most perfect, but it can be the most appropriate.

Later, they continued to show us their collaborative projects with different agencies. What impressed me the most was their collaboration with The Period The project they collaborated with The Period is about breaking the shame of women’s menstruation, while also breaking prejudices through sexual education. They designed a website and created a new type font called san period. The overall tone of the website is red, with various hues and tones in red, as well as black and white. They use water droplet elements and colors to try to communicate with the target audience. Conveying to the audience not to be afraid of physical changes, not to resist coming to the period, and not to feel ashamed of it, as this is a normal and common phenomenon. When I browse the website alone, reading the text. I couldn’t help but think that it would be great if I had the same energy when I was a child. My first period was coming when I was about eleven years old during primary school. When my backpack was opened and searched by a male classmate. The menstrual pad he found, he lifted it and mocked me for You’re still using diapers when you’re so old. Since I was a child, I have intensified my menstrual shame and will never allow a menstrual pad to be used openly or handed to female classmates at any time. Black bags will also be used to pack menstrual pads when purchasing. Although my menstrual shame has significantly decreased now, some of my friends around me still experience intense menstrual shame. 

If you are interested in this campaign, you can further learn about it on their official website https://period.org/, and here is the link to “San Period”, https://sansperiod.com/site/ 

As the final part of the speech, it is about entry career opportunities. She had listed various positions in a design team Some are new to me, such as account manager, project manager, and time deadline She also said that sometimes a person may hold two positions, such as being both an account manager and a graphic designer. At the end of the speech, she also mentioned that there will be a summer internship open for students who are interested in applying.