One of My Favor Building in New York City

( Rockefellers Center )

One of the most remarkable buildings in NYC which represents the American power all over the world must be the Rockefeller’s center building.  Building was made to represent the dreams of rich man who was putting all his fortune to build something that represents a symbol of his family in America. I quoted some lines from the website that will describe his crazy investment.

“He took on the enormous project as the sole financier, on a 27-year lease (with the option for three 21-year renewals for a total of 87 years) for the site from Columbia; negotiating a line of credit with the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company and covering ongoing expenses through the sale of oil company stock. The initial cost of acquiring the space, razing some of the existing buildings and constructing new buildings was estimated at $250,000,000 dollars.

In 1985, Columbia University sold the land beneath Rockefeller Center to the Rockefeller Group for 400 million dollars. The entire Rockefeller Center complex was purchased by Mitsubishi Estate, a real estate company of the Mitsubishi Group, in 1989, which fully bought out Rockefeller Group. In 2000, the current owner Jerry Speyer (a close friend of David Rockefeller), of Tishman Speyer Properties, L.P., together with the Lester Crown family of Chicago, bought for $1.85 billion the older 14 buildings and land from the previous syndicated owners: Goldman Sachs (which had 50 percent ownership), Gianni Agnelli, Stavros Niarchos, and David Rockefeller, who organized the syndicate in 1996 and is historically associated with the other partners.”

Rockefeller Center represents as the best example of combination or mixture of public art and architectural design having a nice center in which tourist people and business men can enjoy the facilities of Rockefeller center complex. Rockefeller complex consists in three entire blocks from 51th street to 49th street and every single is divided in two buildings. For example, at 51th street block, we have Radio City Music Hall on 6th avenue side and the International building at 5th avenue side. At 50th street side, we have the Rainbow room and NBC BROCASTING building on 6th avenue and the British Empire Building on 5th avenue. And the last block, we have the Simon Schuster building on 6th avenue and One Rockefeller plaza on 5th avenue.

Rockefeller center has many sculptures around its facility  that can catch the attention of many people: Atlas, Prometheus and News scultures.

Atlas is a bronze statue in front of Rockefeller Center in midtown Manhattan, New York City, across Fifth Avenue from St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The sculpture depicts the Ancient Greek Titan Atlas holding the heavens. It was created by sculptor Lee Lawrie with the help of Rene Paul Chambellan, and it was installed in 1937.The sculpture is in the Art Deco style, as is the entire Rockefeller Center. Atlas in the sculpture is 15 feet tall, while the entire statue is 45 feet tall,as high as a four-story building. It weighs seven tons, and is the largest sculpture at Rockefeller Center.The North-South axis of the armillary sphere on his shoulders points towards the North Star as seen from New York City.

In Greek mythology, Prometheus (Greek: Προμηθεύς, pronounced [promɛːtʰeús]) is a Titan, culture hero, and trickster figure who is credited with the creation of man from clay and the theft of fire for human use, an act that enabled progress and civilization. He is known for his intelligence and as a champion of humanity.

News sculpture by Isamu Noguchi, November 17, 1904 – December 30, 1988) was a prominent Japanese American artist and landscape architect whose artistic career spanned six decades, from the 1920s onward.[1] Known for his sculpture and public works, Noguchi also designed stage sets for various Martha Graham productions, and several mass-produced lamps and furniture pieces, some of which are still manufactured and sold.

Rockefeller Center is one of my favorite buildings in NYC because it has everything in one place which makes enjoyable walking around its facilites. Rockefeller center is a residential museum building because of the amount of artwork it has all over its perimeter. Not only is a great biulding, but also it is well connected with all public transportation that runs under ground of its facilities making Rockefeller the most suitable place to do business and have fun at the same time. As a result, I strongly recommend  you to go to Rockefeller Center a place where  you experience that soul of New York City in once.

2 Responses to One of My Favor Building in New York City

1. Baljinder says:

The Rockefeller Center is also one of my favorites. I absolutely love the “low-relief” art. It makes the buildings so exciting making you take a closer look into the art. There are a lot of details hidden in the fine arts of the building. I think I could spend hours and hours or maybe even days taking a closer look at the details.

2. I agree with Baljinder in that one could spend hours or days analyzing the buildings or simply taking a closer look at the details of the building. I have gone to Rockerfeller Center quite a few times over my teenage years, and more than half the time I don’y pay attention to details that buildings have and ever since I started taking architecture classes i notice things that i wouldn’t have years ago.