Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center.

We had two amazing walking tour during the summer semester which made me to have a different look to the Manhattan and the New York City. I’m living in Manhattan for one year and during the last year I tried to discover the city but now I think I have a different vision to this great city. The building I selected to describe from the walking tour is the Rockefeller Center which I had seen that before but I had never recognized the beauties of this building.

Rockefeller Center is between 48th and 51st streets in New York City. It is located in the center of Midtown Manhattan, spanning the area between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue.

Rockefeller Center was named after John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who leased the space from Columbia University in 1928 and developed it from 1930.

The Center is a combination of two building complexes: the older and original , 14 Art Deco office buildings from the 1930s, and a set of four International-style towers built along the west side of Avenue of the Americas during the 1960s and 1970s (plus the Lehman Brothers Building). (The Time-Life Building, McGraw-Hill and News Corporation/Fox News Channel headquarters are part of the Rockefeller Center extension now owned/managed by the major private real estate firm, Rockefeller Group.)

Rockefeller Center represents a turning point in the history of architectural sculpture: it is among the last major building projects in the United States to incorporate a program of integrated public art.

When we went into the building I couldn’t believe the murals on the walls and the ceiling, they are adorable. I can’t believe that I didn’t see them before in the way I saw them on the walking tour.  I choose Rockefeller Center because I feel this is one of the amazing buildings that include different kinds of art together. You can see amazing wall and ceiling mural and sculptures all in one building.

This entry was posted in My favorite.... Bookmark the permalink.