My Odyssey

My Odyss

For many years, my cousin had been trying to come to The United States by applying for the visa lotterthat United States Embassy usually offered for people in my country (Peru). My cousin’s dream was to  visit New York City; unfortunately, my cousin couldn’t win the visa after he applied for visa more than ten times already, but I did easily  in first time. For ironically that sounds, I never planned to move or live in another country except Peru. Grateful for my luck, I abandoned my beloved country and flew to my new destination without knowing much about my new horizons. My cousin’ dream was to come to New York and live his American dream. He always told many stories about New York City saying that NYC is the city that never sleeps and  how NYC is an exciting city. I think my cousin was referring that NYC’s stores are open 24/7 and you can get any service such as; restaurants, clubs and gyms open daily for you. When I came to NYC, I didn’t have any friend who could help me out with my arrival. However, my cousin was well prepared knowing where and with whom he was going to stay his first days in NYC; sadly he couldn’t come so I used his contacts in NYC to see if they could help me out for couple days.When I arrived at the airport (JFK), I was supposed to see my cousin’s ex-girlfriend who never showed up. Nowadays; I thought that one of the reasons why she wasn’t waiting for me at the airport is because she was probably upset for all those years waiting for my cousin who promised her to come. Waiting 4 hours at the terminal 4 like an abandoned dog, I deceived to call another friend of my cousin and see she could help me out. Finally, she picked the phone and told me where she was living a place named Jackson heights in Queens. As a result, I caught my next train heading to Queens.My experience taking train for a first time in NYC was unforgettable. I never knew that NYC has so many different lines of trains that can take you all over the city, so I had the pleasure to ride in many different train lines until I realized that I was lost .This was the first time I’ve ever been on a train and I was surprised how long the trains were in NYC  like a snake with a tail that never ends and also how people in NYC board the wagon train at the same time like they were running a marathon. Immediately, Icaught a train at the airport and stared heading up to Queens which I never found because I got lost in the labyrinths of the train station and finally I  ended at the 42 street and Broadway. When I got off the train station, I could see those glassy buildings that my cousin told me about it. I felt so tiny like ant after I stayed close behind to those buildings. I was on shock to see these huge, tall and magnificence skyscrapers around Time Square like a rockets going to touch the blue sky. Not only were tall buildings but also they were strong able  to  hold huge, flat television screens all sides of its circumference like a cube full with colorful lights.

In conclusion, I was captivated of the power of NYC that I have changed my point of view about NYC. Infact, I think NYC is a great place to live where anyone can chase his/her goals by working hard. So now I  am  one who tell stories about New York City to my cousin.