Luis Quinones-HW-1 Photo Description

Michael Kenna Gallery 14
http://www.michaelkenna.net/gallery.php?id=14

The photograph I chose is an image taken by Michael Kenna of the City of New York. The picture was taken in a bird’s eye view angle of Fifth Avenue near the Empire State building in the year 2006. The photographer’s intention was to explore New York City and take certain moments that is happening in the city, for instance the City never sleeps, 24 hours seven days a week city is still operating, building lights are still on, citizens working night shifts and cars, taxis and public transportation still driving through the city. The purpose of this image in my opinion was to grab the viewer’s attention to see what the city is like and constant moving which makes an interesting place for tourist to explore. The capturing of lights and the image of speed of light, shows that the city is full of many things happening at once and it never stops. and full of wonderful surprises. The mood of this photograph made me feel relax and safe because although the city is busy and the photograph shows tranquility. One of the main reason that I chose this photograph because it is my home. I’m a college student that lived in New York City for all my life and for me it is the place best to live. For me the city is full of life and diversity that is a melting pot of many cultures.

The three formal elements from the Steve McCurry video that are most important for the photo I selected is the Diagonals, Figure & Ground, Fill the Frame. Based on this photograph, the photographer use these elements to explain how the lines of the streets create a movement for the viewer to take a small trip and glance through the city also the use of contrast to get a clear look of the city buildings with a black & white background that overlays the image to give it a night setting. Lastly the photographer took this image for the viewer eyes to zoom closer into the heart of New York City making you feel like you’re there and relax. Overall it is a wonderful image and by looking at it, it gives it a moment of reason to understand its importance of what New York City is like.

This entry was posted in HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Luis Quinones-HW-1 Photo Description

1. rmichals says:

The image you picked certainly shows Manhattan as a beautiful place. The diagonal of 40th Street (if I have the right image) is a very strong compositional element in the photo. Figure and Ground is an interesting thing to think about here. Maybe the sky is the “ground” and the buildings are the figure. Or maybe the street is the subject or figure and the buildings are the found or the background or surroundings.