HW#1

The photograph is called Empire State Building, Study 1, New York City, USA, 1978. By Michael Kenna. This I a picture that depicts the Empire State Building located in Manhattan. I believe that the intention of the photographer was to capture this gargantuan building in a different perspective by changing the angle of which the picture was taken. I think that the purpose of this image was to do something that was very much different and unconventional from how most pictures are usually seen. Also, to maybe provoke a different reaction from people when they first see the picture. I say this because when you first look at it, you adjust your point of view by tilting your head a bit to the right to make sure what you are seeing makes sense. I believe that this picture creates a feeling of isolation, but not in a bad way. I feel that the photographer is trying to show unique the building is by using some compositional principles.

The composition principles that he uses are, contrast of light and dark; he Empire State Building is the lightest shade compared to the buildings that are surrounding them which are very dark in color. If you look at it carefully I feel that the two buildings around it kind of create a frame within a frame effect. This makes the Empire State Building its main focal point. And it makes the building easier to identify. In this photograph the picture was taken diagonally. Which create diagonal lines when looked at from the original perspective of the frame itself. But looking at the picture, it makes the picture straight it makes the lines look diagonal although in real life it is straight.

http://www.michaelkenna.net/gallery.php?id=14

This entry was posted in Homework, HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to HW#1

1. rmichals says:

You chose a beautiful photo. Kenna photographs the places we all know and yet somehow manages to get a fresh take on them. As you say, the angle of view is key to creating this unique view of this very familiar icon.