Journal Entry #5

For a while now during my internship with Brooklyn College, I’ve been mostly working on logos for different departments of the college. Logos are a big deal in graphic design, since they have to be definable at a glance, as well as recognizable and iconic- they just have to be good. However, making logos for a college I know little about, not to mention one I don’t attend and have never been to, is pretty challenging. Something else to take into account when making a logo is the context, such as what the logo is about, and who it is for. Not to mention, doing all of this while following the college’s brand guidelines. In regards to research, all I have to go off of is what my supervisor tells me, whatever is on the college’s website, and the previous logos.

My process going forward with creating these logos have been somewhat of a rollercoaster. Having good ideas, executing them, then scrapping them and starting over, working with other designers, deciding on what typefaces to use for consistency, trying to figure out the right imagery to make the logo stand out against the others, seeing what looks good at various sizes, and much more. So far, my fellow intern and I have proposed many different variations of different logos, but haven’t gotten any of them approved yet.