4 thoughts on “Japan opts for massive, costly sea wall to fend off tsunamis

1. RHONDALISA ROBERTS

Japan has frequent, dangerous tsunamis and earthquakes. When Japan decided to build ‘Big U’s’ and approved a budget of 860 million Yen, I actually support this decision. When I watched the last tragedy and saw how many towns were washed away, lives lost and infrastructure damaged I knew Japan needed to take measures to prevent future damages. Japan should also invest in their infrastructure and make their buildings seismic safe. Having a national earthquake and tsunami emergency education, in which all Japanese citizens can follow. Japan also should invest in research and development to get innovative ideas other than the ‘Big U’ to help solve these issues.

Great article! Thanks for sharing professor McDonald.

2. jsuarez

The only benefit I can see coming from building this wall in Japan is creating jobs. But those jobs would only be temporary. The wall may be a great idea but will be very expensive and the trade off may not be worth the costs. The wall will not prevent the water from reaching inland, only reduce its force. It can also cause damage to the marine ecology of the coastline. Years earlier there was a 24ft wall built in the city of Iwanuma and the tsunami waters still managed to reach 3 miles inland. I think the resources should be used to move residents to higher grounds and to build stronger homes to withstand storm waters.

3. Angel Gomez

It is great that we want to build a wall that will defend Japan. It would be greater if we had used our resources not to overfish teh oceans or melt the watercaps that has caused all the destrcting storms we knew would happen if we destroyed our world in the first place.

4. Jessica

I agree that the built dam would not be the best option for backing off tsunamis. However, it will certainly decrease the threats that those natural disasters impose on humans life and marine ecology in Japan. Yes, it will create jobs because there will be less harmful consequences which will not damage the entire city. Most importantly, it will save billions of lives.