Francisco Diaz Gowanus canal conservancy

Francisco Diaz

Pro: Sean MacDonald

Econ 2505

The Gowanus canal conservancy

After taking a field trip to the gowanus canal, I would say that I was impressed by its long history and its surrounding. The canal was constructed in the 1800; s. the very long canal is located around businesses, residential buildings, industries, and homes. I did not have any knowledge of the existence of the canal, but thanks to this tour I was able to learn about its history. The Gowanus canal has been polluted for decades; by businesses, factories, coal companies and run-off water. Uncontrolled dumping from humans; and these businesses led to the contamination of the canal. The dumping of all kinds of waste into the water, not only contaminated the water but also the land. The overflow of water also plays a big role in polluting the canal. Thanks to the technology, they are trying to come up with new tactics to improve the condition of the canal conservancy. In my opinion, I think that by improving the condition of the canal; not only will benefit the community but also the environment and ecosystem as well. They have implemented a few methods to try to maintain the canal cleaner. One of those methods is by placing a few bio-swales plants around the neighborhood. Another method is by going green, and maintaining a friendlier environment. The supermarket around the corner has implemented energy saving technology; such as wind farms and solar panels and a greenhouse atop the supermarket. I also overheard the tour guide, saying that there are certain rules for constructing around the canal. They have to move certain distance away from the canal when constructing new projects or residential buildings.  Unlike decades ago; now businesses and factories are more aware of the danger of polluting the Canal. Contaminating the canal not only creates a threat to the canal; but also to the environment and the community as well. It can definitely bring health issues, to the people living nearby the canal.  The main goal is to maintain the canal clean and free polluted. I have to say that I really enjoyed the trip there and the tour as well. I learned things that I did not know about the canal, and also about the neighborhood.