Reading Response FDouglass– Julian Georgi

What does Douglass mean when he says that “learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing” (paragraph 5)?  Furthermore, what does he mean when he says that “freedom…was ever present to torment me” (same paragraph)?  In other words, is there a downside to becoming literate?  What might that be?

When Douglass says “learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing” he saying gaining knowledge has hurt him more than benefiting him. It has opened his eyes and showed him that slaves like him are illiterate and cant perceive knowledge like the other people around him. When Douglass also mentions the phrase “freedom…was ever present to torment me” he saying that with this new found knowledge “freedom” might actually be possible because wherever he goes it’ll be his greatest weapon. There is a downside to becoming literate and that’s the knowledge of knowing everything, knowing all the good and especially the bad and in Douglass’s case it was more bad than good.

Part II: “I set
about
learning
what
it
meant.
The
dictionary
afforded
me
little
or
no
help.
I
found
it
was
”the
act
of
abolishing”;
but
then
I
did
not
know
what
was
to
be
abolished.
”

When discovering the meaning behind the word abolished Douglass did not understand what it meant to be abolished. This is significant to me because while unlocking new found knowledge he never knew what it meant to be truly free. Its only when he reads about it in the paper he slowly understands its meaning. Slowly but surely Douglass realizes what it means to freed and to live a new life not as a captured slave but a free man.

1 thought on “Reading Response FDouglass– Julian Georgi”