RAB Proposal – Iren

My research question is: Does the paranormal world exist?

This topic interests me because growing up with Albanian folktales and superstitions has made the paranormal world super interesting to me. The stories and beliefs passed down through my family have created a curiosity about the supernatural. Growing up with Albanian superstitions was an intriguing experience. From the moment I was old enough to understand, tales of supernatural beings like the shtriga and bukur filled my imagination. Every action seemed to have a corresponding superstition: don’t whistle at night, avoid cutting your nails on Fridays, and never place bread upside down. These beliefs were woven into the fabric of daily life, shaping rituals and routines. While some may dismiss them as mere folklore, for me, they added a layer of mystery and tradition to my upbringing, connecting me to generations past and instilling a sense of reverence for the unseen forces believed to govern our world. The mix of folklore and superstitions has blurred the lines between what’s normal and what’s mysterious. Exploring the paranormal isn’t just scary; it’s like delving into a world filled with cultural stories and the excitement of things we can’t quite explain. My upbringing has given me a unique way of looking at the unknown, turning it into a fascinating journey rather than something to fear.

Resources:

Using science to investigate the paranormal | National Science and Media Museum

Are Ghosts Real? What to Know on Hauntings and Paranormal Activity (today.com)

New Psychological Research Says Paranormal Experiences Are The Norm, Not The Exception (forbes.com)

Many Americans Say They Believe in Ghosts. Do You? – The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Do Paranormal Phenomena Exist? – The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Psychology: The truth about the paranormal (bbc.com)

Supernatural stories seem to make sense in these inexplicable times | Life and style | The Guardian

Spooky Britain: how ghosts became a national obsession | Health & wellbeing | The Guardian