One Scene – Iren Musaraj

The first day of college dawned with a mix of excitement and nervous anticipation. As I walked into the lecture hall, the air buzzed with the energy of countless possibilities. The room, much larger than any I had encountered in high school, seemed to echo with the collective anticipation of new beginnings. The sea of unfamiliar faces stared back at me, each one harboring a unique story and a spectrum of emotions. The professor, a figure of authority and knowledge, commanded attention at the front of the room. The echoes of hushed conversations filled the space as students exchanged introductions, sharing a blend of excitement and anxiety.

I found an empty seat, the cool surface of the desk beneath my fingertips adding a tangible reality to the moment. The professor began the class with a warm welcome, setting a tone that blended expertise with approachability. The syllabus, a roadmap for the semester, was distributed, and the weight of academic expectations settled in. As the professor delved into the course material, the hum of curiosity overpowered the initial nerves. The first-day icebreakers, though slightly awkward, served as a bridge connecting the diverse group of individuals in the room. Laughter punctuated the air, creating a sense of camaraderie as we navigated the uncharted waters of this academic journey together.

(I am still in the process of having my other scenes written down but this scene specifically is one that I find to have the most imagery as of now.)

1 thought on “One Scene – Iren Musaraj”

1. You write well, Iren. I am looking forward to seeing how your ed narrative develops!

I share a few edits:

The first day of college dawned with a mix of excitement and nervous anticipation. As I walked into the lecture hall [at Marymount College], the air buzzed with the energy of countless possibilities. The room, much larger than any I had encountered in high school, seemed to echo with the collective anticipation of new beginnings. The sea of unfamiliar faces [all young women] stared back at me, each one harboring a unique story and a spectrum of emotions. The professor, a figure of authority and knowledge, commanded attention at the front of the room. The echoes of hushed conversations filled the space as students exchanged introductions, sharing a blend of excitement and anxiety.

I found an empty seat, the cool surface of the desk beneath my fingertips adding a tangible reality to the moment. The professor began the class with a warm welcome, setting a tone that blended expertise with approachability. The syllabus, a roadmap for the semester, was distributed, and the weight of academic expectations settled in. As the professor delved into the course material, the hum of curiosity overpowered the initial nerves.

The first-day icebreakers, though slightly awkward, served as a bridge connecting the diverse group of individuals in the room. [Can you mention how exactly the group was diverse – age? nationality? The dress styles of the women?]. Laughter punctuated the air, creating a sense of camaraderie as we got to know each other. 

This sounds like an ending…Are you at the end already? — Laughter punctuated the air, creating a sense of camaraderie as we navigated the uncharted waters of this academic journey together.