Writing Task Saved – Moziah Ferguson

When I was a kid, whenever somebody asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I always just said police officer, but I’ve never wanted to be a police officer. I just couldn’t think of anything I could or wanted to do when I grew up. When going into my freshman year of high school, where I knew no one, it should have been a new start but I still had the idea of never knowing what I wanted to become. I was just trying to get in and out each day, not caring too much about classes and not making much of a connection with others either, all I had was a Dell OptiPlex 9020 PC and an old monitor to just play flash games. Because of this I’ve never thought of or seen education as an item of peak interest, only saw it as a day-to-day routine. I was a student who accepted C’s because I didn’t care about trying in my classes. Then during my sophomore year, the unexpected happened to the disease that took over the world, shutting down and changing the world as we know it.

The pandemic changed me, it was an unforgettable experience that allowed me to understand more about myself. It gave me more time to learn on my own and find out what I wanted for myself and time to change. During the time in the pandemic, I have found videos and streams that made me more interested in the things I like today. It got me into building my very own PC, coding, and my view towards politics, and gained some confidence. What I remember most about quarantine is me remembering a Linus tech tips video about making your PC have a better performance for gaming and I had to reopen my PC and open up the BIOS to make it have a better performance. It felt great having the ability to change something with the knowledge that you have and seeing that for myself really pushed me to achieve more. Covid also had me hang out with friends from school more, with them inviting me to their discord allowing me to talk to them. The lockdown also gave me the ability to plan a schedule on what to do for homework, chores, etc. It also pushed me to pursue electrical engineering and how interesting and fun it can be with what knowledge you get from it. What I got most from the time that I was locked away is how my love for learning grew and how my life changed for the better pushing me to do what I want to do.

After the pandemic for my junior and senior years, I’ve changed. I was unlike the person I was during my freshman year, I was finally pushing towards the goals that I wanted to have for a change. That time spent trapped inside gave me that push to keep moving forward and notified me of how vast the world can be with knowledge. 

2 thoughts on “Writing Task Saved – Moziah Ferguson”

1. Hi Moziah, I find your story to be relatable and inspiring. I can understand the struggle of not knowing what you wanted to do career-wise as I had the same type of struggle in the beginning as well. It’s a great thing that now you know what you want to do and you also have a passion for it. I can also agree on how the pandemic had a positive impact on wanting to learn more.

2. Moziah: Good start! NOW — THINK: What is the focus of your story? I think this is a story of how the pandemic saved me! And that’s ironic, isn’t it? Super interesting!

So what events would make this story come alive? What events would show me how the pandemic transformed you for the good? Can you make an outline to plan out the events that will make this a good story? Pick a few scenes from your memory and create some theatre of the mind. Where? When? What? How? 

I Intro — When I was a kid, whenever somebody asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I always just said police officer, but I’ve never wanted to be a police officer. I just couldn’t think of anything I could or wanted to do when I grew up. When going into my freshman year of high school, where I knew no one, it should have been a new start but I still had the idea of never knowing what I wanted to become. I was just trying to get in and out each day, not caring too much about classes and not making much of a connection with others either, all I had was a Dell OptiPlex 9020 PC and an old monitor to just play flash games. Because of this I’ve never thought of or seen education as an item of peak interest, only saw it as a day-to-day routine. I was a student who accepted C’s because I didn’t care about trying in my classes.

Then during my sophomore year, the unexpected happened to the disease [awkward phrasing here] that took over the world, shutting down and changing the world as we know it.

The pandemic changed me, it was an unforgettable experience that allowed me to understand more about myself. It gave me more time to learn on my own and find out what I wanted for myself and time to change.

During the time in the pandemic…

Event 1: I have found videos and streams that made me more interested in the things I like today. [Notice that you are only telling me – Instead you need to show me! MORE CSD needed – What videos or streams – SHOW me one that was influenctual for you. Create a scene of you discovering a specific video that sparked your interest in…making your own computer or video game or WHATEVER – Make Theatre of the Mind for your reader.]

Event 2: It got me into building my very own PC, coding, and my view towards politics, and gained some confidence. What I remember most about quarantine is me remembering a Linus tech tips video about making your PC have a better performance for gaming and I had to reopen my PC and open up the BIOS to make it have a better performance. It felt great having the ability to change something with the knowledge that you have and seeing that for myself really pushed me to achieve more. – SHOW ME a scene of you building your own computer. Did you discover a video online that sparked this computer-building interest?   What video was this? Then, SHOW me your excitement. WHERE did you build it? Describe your room, your workshop, your garage. SHOW me a story of that building your PC.

Event 3. SHOW me how you “changed your views toward politics.” This is interesting – what piece of news or controversy were you following? Was this all on-line learning about history or current event. EXPLAIN with CSD!

Event 4: Covid also had me hang out with friends from school more, with them inviting me to their discord allowing me to talk to them. The lockdown also gave me the ability to plan a schedule on what to do for homework, chores, etc.

Event 5. It also pushed me to pursue electrical engineering and how interesting and fun it can be with what knowledge you get from it.  HOW did this happen? SHOW me how you learned about EE as a possible future. 

What I got most from the time that I was locked away is how my love for learning grew and how my life changed for the better pushing me to do what I want to do. After the pandemic for my junior and senior years, I’ve changed. I was unlike the person I was during my freshman year, I was finally pushing towards the goals that I wanted to have for a change. That time spent trapped inside gave me that push to keep moving forward and notified me of how vast the world can be with knowledge.