Success Tips – Jonathan Kayumov

This tip resonates deeply with me as a student because navigating the educational system can often feel like an uphill battle. I feel like I speak for a majority of students here when I say that at times, it feels like as if were working with a system that is actively working against us. There are many factors contributing to this, whether it be the overwhelming amount of websites we have to keep up with, the unnecessarily confusing UI of said websites, the complete lack of crucial information at times, or even just the overwhelming expectations put upon us, it’s really hard. Thats why establishing a connection with professors is crucial for academic support. We could use all the help we can possibly get, and having someone with the experience and wisdom to guide us through these trying times is almost mandatory. Thats why I always make it a point to show my professors all due respect and make myself stand out as much as I possibly could.

I feel like this tip really stood out to me due to the problems that have arised in the past specifically happening because i didn’t do this. Each student has a unique learning style, and what works for one may not work for another. When I was in high school, I often attempted to adopt study techniques given to me by my teachers and peers. This of course, did not really help me because the advice given to me did not take into account my individual preferences or my way of thinking. I seem to take in information and get work done in what others may deem, “a backwards way” but its what works best for me. I often have to collect myself at times and take little breaks in between my studies, like taking walks or making music. If I spend too much time on one thing, I get overwhelmed and my brain just shuts down. By doing this, I keep my mind clear and eager to get back to the task at hand.