Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Genre Scavenger Hunt, part 2

Using one of the examples you found as a “mentor text” for your own Unit 3 project, analyze the example in detail:

• Are the paragraphs long or short? How long is the overall piece?
  • Is imagery used?
  • From what point of view is the piece written? 
  • Is there dialogue or is just one person talking? 
  • What is the tone and purpose? 
  • How is it organized?
  • Where is your genre found? What kind of place/publication?
  • Consider who created the piece (a scholar? a reporter? a creative writer? a child? etc.)
  • How does the piece use/utilize research, fact, statistics, etc.?
  • Quote one sentence from your sample that you think is effective, and explain why you chose it.

1. Nadeen

1. The example has long paragraphs, or long sentences since it is a poem.
    2. Imagery is not used.
    3. from the authors point of view.
    4. It is several poems, so it is a mix of the author talking, and others dialogue.
    5. The usual tone is confusion. The purpose is to send a message through poetry.
    6. It is organized in a poems format.
    7. you can say it is found either in a website or a book.
    8. a creative writer.
    9. I dont know
    10. “You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,

You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self.” This is the repetition I had mentioned, I am using this to show me how to format my poem.

2. Ali Simmons

The piece is 9 minutes long. There is no imagery used mainly just information. It is from a man that is well informed in chemicals and how the body works. It’s just one person talking throughout the whole podcast. The tone of the podcast is serious and the purpose to to inform people on what alcohol does to your brain. It is organized in steps. He posts videos on YouTube.it is a creative writer. He uses research and facts to relay his purpose. One thing he says is that being drunk is an affect of poisoning in the alcohol. The reason is because it’s not a known thing and surprised me.

3. Liubov N

The paragraphs of the poem I found are short . This is not an ode, so it is not extremely long. The poem is written from author point of view, this is the monologue. The tone and purpose is educational poem to encourage reader to recycle. This poem was published in New Jersey DOE website as a part of the poetry contest. The piece was created by 6th grade student, Tanysha Anand. She ends her piece with this,”So ask yourself, “Do Ihave to? When do I draw the line?

Well, you don’t – Cuz baby,

It’s the law and you’ll have to pay a fine.” 🙂

4. asarii<3

the overall piece of “the safe place” are at least 1 hour plus each interview. imagery is used throughout the videos. there is constant dialogue, back and forth conversation. the tone is sometimes serious. the purpose of the interview is to get info and povs and opinion on topics.

its organized in a room with mics,

5. J. Carlos

• Immigration Headline by Javier Zamora was the example I chose as my guide to writing my poem. There is actually just one long paragraph made up of many short lines. It takes around 4 to 5 minutes to read it using the proper intonation.
    • Visual imagery is not used (at least on the website where I read it), but descriptive imagery is definitely incorporated in the poem.
    • The poem is written from Zamora’s point of view; he narrates the experiences he might have gone through as an immigrant.
    • Most of the poem is a monologue of sorts, although there are a few secondary interventions (by which Zamora asks questions to answer in the next line).
    • The tone the poet uses is bewildering, since stepping on American soil is, for many immigrants, a complete turnaround in their lives. It also kindles sadness, hope, disillusion, and even regret. The purpose is to convey the journey of thousands of immigrants who seek a better life here in the U.S.
    • The story he is telling is organized chronologically as he narrates how tough the road is for an immigrant.
    • Zamora’s poetry and a large number of other poems can be found in poetry magazines. They can also be found in more recent formats, such as TikTok videos or reels (at least a fraction of the poem is accompanied by imagery).
    • Javier Zamora is a Salvadoran poet, and I can deem a poet as a creative writer.
    • I cannot tell whether he researched or not, but I can certainly say it was based on his own experience and the feelings shared among immigrants.
    • “But maybe, just maybe, I’ll return to that well and begin carving mud again. I’ll carve the whole world backwards. But no. Maybe not. Migrating has no beginning. No purpose. Yo solo soy uno de muchos bichos migrantes.” I feel strongly about this part of the poem because he doubts whether all the efforts he has put into migrating are in vain or not. Zamora makes the thought of being just one of millions sink in, and that touches me.
  6. andrew2005

A.)The paragraphs are pretty long and the overall piece should be about 3-5 min long.

B.)Imagery is not used

C.)This is written from the authors POV, in this case me

D.)It’s a mix of dialogue and me talking

E.)The tone is will pretty aggressive considering how serious this is and the purpose is to explain the war and how we can help Palestine

F.)Organized in chronological order

G.)My genre is a tiktok video and this app was created a couple years ago.

H.)I’m not sure who created Tiktok

I.)TikTok is a app common for research

7. Tyrell

• The paragraphs are short. The piece is about 10 minutes long but can be shorter if you read it quickly 
    • No Imagery is used
    • It is written from the authors of the article’s point of view
    • There is no dialog because it is just someone sharing their opinions 
    • The tone is persuasive and assertive. 
    • It is organized by each point the author wanted to make
    • My genre is usually found online. It is found when searching for a topic of interest to better inform yourself on search engines like Google.
    • A parent, teacher, or someone concerned about the safety of adolescents has written this piece 
    • The piece uses/utilize research, fact, statistics, etc by using other people like psychologist work to support their statement 
    • “Many adolescents are vulnerable and are likely to compare themselves with others, they are at risk of developing negative imagery of themselves which may cause low self-esteem and might cause them to bring harm to themselves.” I think it is effective because it supports my point and helps people understand that adolescents’ mental health can be easily ruined because they are at a vulnerable time in their lives 
  8. Yenny Jimenez

Every paragraph single is very short and the whole article takes me like 7 minutes to read.

They author didn’t used any imagery 

I think that the author was very objective, because he or she did take a side

The author basically summarized the information from other articles, so it was only he or her talking about other people work

I think that the tone of the article is distress

I think that the article have a topical order

The genre is found on the website of N.Y Energy Advisor and I’m not sure of what kind of publication but it’s look like news information 

The author is a member of the N.Y Energy Advisor 

The piece of writing use fact from a map developed by graduate students of New York University’s Center for Urban Science and Progress

“Our work shows that the housing affordability crisis is displacing low-income families throughout the New York region, a pattern that is being replicated in other high-cost regions around the country,” 

9. josephjin

In my “mentor text” videos were usually 8 minutes long and imagery is used when a new topic arrives in the video. Its just one person talking from a neutral point of view in a monotone way. The video’s creator doesn’t really have a voice in their video per se, but rather just states the facts and goes along their day. Videos are mostly found on youtube nowadays and uses information from different sources and credits them along the way. I didn’t really find any quotes that resonated with me as I feel like the creator of my “mentor text” just creates these videos for monetary purposes alone.

10. Adil

The podcast is a very long one as it goes on for 58 minutes.

No imagery was used

This piece was written from other people’s points of view

There is dialogue because the other people’s views are being explained by them.

The tone was serious because the purpose of the podcast was to explain the issue of schools being underfunded and how when black kids moved to better schools the white parents immediately became scared and racist.

It’s organized into three parts the prologue, part one, and then part two

My genre is predominantly online in streaming services and social media.

A writer, journalist, activist, and reporter.

This piece utilizes research extremely well as it uses it to help paint a picture of what is happening in Normandy.

“You took my son away from me, You know how hard it was to make him stay in school, and graduate.” This line is extremely effective because it helps add to the point of schools and why it’s so difficult for black men to graduate. This was Micheal Brown’s mother after he was killed and it hits extremely hard for me and other’s as it helps add on to the issue she later on addresses.