Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Source Entries / Quote Sandwich

Using the article “Schools are Killing Curiosity” as a guide, choose a moment that interests you and write a sample source entry using the “quote sandwich” method. Remember to include all three elements: introduce the quote, explain the quote (in your own words), and analyze the quote.

1. Megan

Reading “schools are killing curiosity” one line stuck out to me. “A ninth grader raised her hand to ask if there were any places in the world where no one made art. The teacher stopped her mid sentence with “zoe, no questions now, please its time for learning” it stuck out to me because what a way to kill a kids mood and enthusiasm. Kids have imaginations, how dare a teacher take that away from them. She pretty much told the kid shut up i dont care what youre thinking because thats not what im thinking.

2. Ali Simmons

The quote I’m going to use is this one “ In one lesson she observed, a ninth grader raised her hand to ask if there were any places in the world where no one made art. The teacher stopped her mid-sentence with, “Zoe, no questions now, please; it’s time for learning.””. In this quote a girl asks her teacher a question and the teacher responds by telling her that this is time for learning not asking questions. I think the reason the author put this in is to show us how ridiculous this he teacher is. I think that asking questions is the way of learning so how is not time for questions but it’s time for learning where it is the same thing to me.

3. Malak

In the article “Schools are Killing Curiosity” it state “ The questions they asked were aimed at improving their results, whereas the questions asked by more curious students were aimed at understanding a topic more deeply.” In this quote it talks about the differences of two different type of student asking a question about the same topic. It show to different mindset and ways they want to understand the text. In this quote one way one of the student wanted to interpret the text is trying to understand the basic and topic of the text. They didn’t try to question anything but rather just try to understand it. This is one way the education system is trying to set up the student to think. On the other hand, the other student didn’t just wanted to understand and not question the text. He wanted to go deeply and understand the reasons why the author would state that. Theses two different perspectives shows how the education system is built. They try to make the student go with the flow and not question and try to answers the problems and ideas in their head. They want the students to be in the same page, rather then being on where the student curiosity should be.

4. asarii<3

after reading this article the quote that I understood and related to the most was ” this quote stuck out to me more than everything else that was said because when I was younger in school, I always felt like my questions were wrong. teachers would tell me ti just pay. attention in class and not talk or ask anything outside of the curriculum. so that made me grow up not asking anyone anything or it made me scared to ask and to be curious.

5. Liubov N

As for me, this article is raising a question but not advising any answer. By saying “Schools are killing Curiosity” author builds up their subjective opinion. If we take a look at the conclusions of the study they referring to we will see what study actually said.“Conclusions: Curiosity may be an important, yet under-recognized contributor to academic achievement. Fostering curiosity may optimize academic achievement at kindergarten, especially for children with low SES.”

In the text of the article we see examples of situations from 9th and 6th grades.

We can’t blame only schools, or education system, it comes form different reasons coming from home and families.

6. Nadeen

A quote I am going to focus on is “a ninth grader raised her hand to ask if there were any places in the world where no one made art. The teacher stopped her mid-sentence with, “Zoe, no questions now, please; it’s time for learning.”” What this quote is showing us is that the moment a kid has a genuine question, and hoping for an answer from the person who is known to answer questions, tries to prove to the kid that her question was not worth answering because it does not provide “learning” information, therefor, this gives false hope to the kid, and wouldn’t feel the courage to even ask questions anymore. The teachers role is to make kids feel comfortable with asking any questions, but in this case, it was the opposite.

7. Ife

“Schools are Killing Curiosity” is an illuminating exploration of the education system and how it effects children in their early lives, it forms the connections between engagement and performance as its thesis but also has very interesting things to say about class and how it seems to have a heavy hand in dictating success. The article states “In a finding critical to tackling the stubborn achievement gap between poorer and richer children, disadvantaged children had the strongest connection between curiosity and performance.” Basically stating that curiosity is a leading factor in how well a student does in many cases, the article provides the perspective, however passively, that kids in a higher socioeconomic status don’t require the same amount of curiosity as lower class kids to achieve similar amounts of success. It shocks me how early children in a higher tax bracket seem to be carried toward success as a given, children of the lower class are implied to be allowed to fail under academic circumstances unless they show some level of engagement that is not demanded of their wealthier peer and that’s curious to me.

8. J. Carlos

Paul Howard-Jones, professor of neuroscience and education at Bristol University says, “Children should be prompted and encouraged to ask questions even though that can be challenging for the teacher.We do need to find some time for questions during the day. There is not enough time in schools for creativity and following up on curiosity.” What Howard-Jones states in the article is the fact that schools have to encourage young students to ask questions, which are fundamental to the development of the child; accordingly, schools should find time for questions in order to prompt and encourage students, by doing so, we maintain curiosity and enhance creativity. I agree with Howard-Jones’ perspective, although we have to weigh other factors up. Prompting a child’s curiosity is complicated and passing completely such an enormous responsibility to a teacher is kind of unfair. Definitely, schools should prioritize spaces for questions because curiosity is more than important—it is an intrinsic aspect of a child—but it is something that goes beyond a classroom.

9. andrew2005

In “Schools are killing curiosity’s”, it states, “Children, full of questions about things that interest them, are learning not to ask them at school. Against a background of tests and targets, unscripted queries go mainly unanswered and learning opportunities are lost”. This quote is saying that schools are focusing on what is being taught, rather than allowing students to expand. Showing how schools are restricting students from exploring topics outside of what is being taught in schools.

10. Tyrell

A moment from the article “Schools are Killing Curiosity” a moment that interested me is “In one lesson she observed, a ninth grader raised her hand to ask if there were any places in the world where no one made art. The teacher stopped her mid-sentence with, “Zoe, no questions now, please; it’s time for learning.” Children don’t have a chance to talk in classrooms anymore because the teachers don’t let them. Both the teachers and students have been taught that kids should just learn and not ask many questions that interest them. Just like Matt Caldwel said“When do children get to ask questions about things that interest them? As soon as they are at primary school they have to shut up and learn.” This shows that schools do kill curiosity because the students don’t get a chance to ask questions and express their thoughts and are required to just shut up and listen to the teachers.

11. Adil

I am using this quote: “She found the youngest children in an American suburban elementary school asked between two and five questions in a two-hour period. Even worse, as they got older the children gave up asking altogether. There were two-hour stretches in fifth grade (year 6) where 10 and 11-year-olds failed to ask their teacher a single question.” This quote speaks to me because as children continue to get shot down every year they get scared of asking questions and it continues a cycle of children not being inventive or curious and learn new things.

12. Lichen Wu Wu

From using this quote “In one lesson she observed, a ninth grader raised her hand to ask if there were any places in the world where no one made art. The teacher stopped her mid-sentence with, “Zoe, no questions now, please; it’s time for learning.” “, From what I interpret, this means that the teacher doesn’t want to answer a kid’s question. They could’ve answered in a way where they said they were not sure instead of shutting down their question entirely. I’m guessing the teacher had better things to do and just wanted to go along their day with teaching.