Faculty Name | Section | Semester

A Talk to Teachers

What is Baldwin saying in the quote below? What do you think he means when he says “the world is larger?” 

“I would try to make [the student] know that just as American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it, so is the world larger, more daring, more beautiful and more terrible, but principally larger – and that it belongs to him. I would teach him that he doesn’t have to be bound by the expediencies of any given administration, any given policy, any given morality; that he has the right and the necessity to examine everything.”

What do you think you have the “necessity” to examine, or the obligation to learn more about? Why? Alternatively, what do you wish had been taught to you in school that wasn’t? Or what was something you were taught in school that you have since begun to question? Why do you want to know about these topics?  

1. Megan

In my opinion school teaches nonsense. A bunch of old textbooks that are in fact important but school does not teach you how to be a decent human being. Rarely do i see basic life skills being taught. We teach conformity, how to follow and not lead. I wish school taught me how to stand out, be myself, not just boring nonsense ive never used and will never use. We need to bring real life into schools and not just what happened hundreds of years ago or math that will never be used unless youre a math teacher

2. Ali Simmons

I think he is straying to say that we are blind to the things we don’t learn from someone. That we need to go educate ourselves on the world problems. We need to see the world how it actually is. I think that we should learn more about what’s going on in our country. I feel like there are many things being hidden from us that need to be shared. I want to know why do we need to learn some of the things that we are never going to use in the future.

3. Ifetayo

I think what’s Baldwin is trying to say ultimately is that human experience is that of perspective, we can not at once absorb the totality of something greater than us but there is virtue in the endeavor to do so. Baldwin is imparting his idea that it is necessary to find truth and to bring it into the world, it reminds me of our discussion of Plato’s Allegory of the cave and our obligation to search for the origin of truth that exists at the center of our human nature. He asserts that it is moral to search for every perspective and that the pursuit of knowledge is the mission of ever one.

4. Fabien

Baldwin is saying there’s so much more about Amwrican History that we don’t know about. Also I would like to learn why Columbus did what he did.

5. Sam Bazarov

i think what he means is the world is larger than you think, like there’s much more stuff than you thought there was you still don’t know Everything. I wish in school they have thought us how life works and how the world is actually is. I wish the thought us how to live in this hard world and how to make money and in general how yo survive. I want to know if they hid all these useful things teach us in school what else are they hiding. What’s else don’t we know about this life, this world, that we are Suppose to know.

6. andrew2005

In the quote, Baldwin is saying that it is imprints t to examine the world for what it is. Go out there and question everything. Be observant and challenge yourself when it comes to understanding society. I think I have the “necessity” to question my role in society. I do wish I would have been taught this in school, but sometimes the education system doesn’t want to teach us certain things. I usually question things involving history when it comes to school.

7. Liubov N

Baldwin’s quote is trying to encourage us to explore and exam the studies, go beyond the knowledge that are provided, ask questions, research imperative. Do not limit yourself in knowledge.

it is could be silly but I think schools should provide courses of financial literacy and parenting.

The history is one subject I always had a question to, because in schools they for the opinion on who is “good guy” and who is “bad guy” instead of telling as it was. They teach history selectively.

8. Malak

We, as in society have been taught and trained to go with the flow and not questions thing. We go to school, in which they teach us what they want us to know and not the whole history and background. They give us a small piece of what the world is, and not the whole thing. They just teach us about American history and nothing else. That’s what he means when he stated the world is “larger”. Only care about America. We has human have to question the structure of society and try to understand the process of what they want us to know. “Examining” is understanding and opening to newer stuff and ideas. When we are enlightened, we are free. We have the able to understand stuff that they never taught us. Some examples, is school, it always taught us to go to college, have a career and you would be set for life. Instead they should teach us what money is and how to make it and use it. They should try to teach us more about interest, stocks and e-commerce, but they don’t do that because they want to fed in their ego of them being more education and higher than us. It’s there ignorance and selfishness that stops them from doing so.

9. Nadeen

What I think he means by the “world is larger” is that the people of this earth is becoming more knowledgable, it’s expanding with the information humans are gathering. I have the obligation to learn more about different cultures and countries that aren’t really ever put on the media, I find stuff like that very interesting to learn, so you know more about people and their backgrounds. What I wish I learned in school is more about the world, and how to get your way through it, or different ways to make good money. I wish they taught me how to be a better person, or things I can improve on with myself. Maybe if these things were taught, the world would not be so bad, and we wouldn’t see homeless people at every corner, or witnessing people not being able to control their anger out on the streets.

10. asarii<3

I think hes trying to say that theres more to the world than what history books just talks about. like even though history talking about some just the facts, its deeper than that.

I wish I was taught more about real like situations, like taxes, credit, making big purchases like buying houses, car, credit scores.i was recently taught about credit score and credit cards, and I think dont know enough about it and want to learn more.

11. J. Carlos

From my point of view, I would say that he is implying that the world is more than just America, saying, “So is the world larger, more daring, more beautiful, and more terrible, but principally larger—and that it belongs to him.” Here, the author is referring to the fact that the student needs to go beyond the “boundaries” the government has imposed; the one who is learning must be aware of the immeasurable knowledge that can be acquired if we go further.

I do have the necessity to examine everything, so I can prove that what I am being taught is true and verifiable and that it is not based on or promoted by the system’s lucrative ends.

Something that I wish had been taught to me is solving problems that are actually an issue for a large number of people, for instance, finances. Financial education is not taught for the simple reason that it is not convenient for the system. And there are plenty of other things that are not taught, and currently, the lack of this knowledge is afflicting society.

12. Lichen Wu Wu

I think he means that there is more than to being taught what you are learning, meaning that there are other stuff we don’t know about that we should know. The meaning I’m getting behind “the world is larger” is that there is more to than just America. I think the “necessity” to examine means to go out of your comfort zone and learn about what is going on around you , not only the place that you are at, at the moment. I wish I was taught more in history about the person Anne Frank. Throughout my middle school and high school I only learned that she was a good person overall and that she survived but I never learned the details of what she did. All that was said was a broad answer of “she was a brave teenager” but I wanted to know more about why she was important.

13. josephjin

I believe Baldwin attempts to convey that the world is more than what’s on the surface. What I mean by this is the fact that you should question and examine everything that is around you and that the world around you is not always what it seems to be. I think it is necessary to examine the higher-ups in society and their actions and how it could possibly effect those around me. I’m satisfied from what I learned from school, specifically history, and have not question anything past that. I tend to acknowledge the past and reflect on those events in the future.

14. Adil

I believe what Baldwin means is that the world is more than what it seems. The world is larger than what is taught in schools. There are pieces of history that aren’t talked about and are hidden from the courses and I believe that it also relates to the necessity of examining everything that you learn because things might not be what it seems and we might have you conduct more research or read between the lines.

15. Tyrell

I think Baldwin is saying not to let anything hold you back. What I think he means by the world is larger is that the world is more large than what we think it is. There is so much we don’t know about that world and we are held back by people and things like administration, policies, or any given morality. Which only holds us back from trying to examine everything. I feel like I have the necessity to know more about what’s going on around the world and in the USA. I wish in school they taught us more about current events. I also think they should have taught us more about adult life and how to prepare for it better like how to manage credit cards and how to finance to make us better adults. 

16. Yenny Jimenez

I think that Baldwin is trying to said that the world hidden many things that are not teach on schools and we as students should explore them by ourselves.

I think that the schools only teach us things that they think that are important or we should know. But they really is that they don’t teach us how we can use those things in the real world. Mainly that knowledge go directly to the trash because we don’t know how to used and it should not be like that. We deserve to be able to use that information.