Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Scene work / Detail

Now that you’ve pictured your specific scene in full, use the images, emotions, sensations that you’ve generated and write a paragraph on that scene, using as many of those concrete, specific details as possible.

Remember that what you choose to include tells a reader when you value when describing a scene.

1. Ali Simmons

It was a sunny day where the sun light bounced into my eyes blinding me. The leaves so dried when stepped on, it sounds like chewing on chips. The hot but warm weather wind blowing on my skin. I can hear the loud cars driving past as I walk, the birds chirping in my ears, and the people walking. The smell of the flowers, grass, perfume, and gas in the air.

2. Megan

Education changed for me when i became a teacher. Teachers/ Administration dont want students to stand up for themselves. We teach there is only one right answer, follow every rule and how dare they challenge them. I sat in a faculty meeting on a cold January afternoon at about 3pm. I was surrounded with coworkers who were eager to talk about this “issue”. I sat on a cold hard wooden chair and listened to these people ramble on about what a problem these students are. “they talk too much” “disrespectful” are just two examples of what was coming out of these peoples mouths. All i could smell was the faculties hot breath, disgusting lunchboxes, and unwashed winter coats. I was nauseated not only by the stench but by the ancient 1920s school decor that the students stare at and supposed to be inspired and motivated.

3. asarii<3

That day I found out part of the truth I was already irritated because of the heat. It was the middle of July, one of the hottest days. it was about 7pm, I was out almost all day in Brooklyn with a friend of mine. My friend Samantha, were about the same height, she had really curly. We were having a good time, shopping talking. At that time we were sitting and eating warm cookies and brownies we got from “insomnia cookie”. As we spoke, the truth about someone I really cared about came out. Samantha helped my connect the dots. I was furious. you could see my smile face away almost immediately. I felt so defeated, I got lied to by one of my favorite people. My body was weak, I was literally shaking out of anger. Everything went quiet. all the thoughts and questions running through my head. while I gathered my thoughts, I quickly became the loudest person in the area. I was surrounded by so many different smells, the food trucks, the people the train stations, everything wreaked. I felt my friend touching me for comfort, trying to calm me down. but it wasn’t helping, my blood was boiling!

4. Lichen Wu Wu

I was in my first year of highschool during the fall season where it started raining and everything felt humid and sticky to my body. I sat to the back of the class with my 3 other classmates whom I always saw in the afternoon during the hours of 11am until 12pm. After sitting down I got out my notebook, calculator, and pencil trying to relax myself but it smelled like weed infused with the rain, which lingered around and stinged my nose. At the time, you could hear cars beeping, whistles coming from the hallway monitor, people yelling outside of the class and people whispering inside the class. Around me all I could see was compacted desks with barely any room to move in, lockers behind me, two white boards, the teacher teaching with the touchscreen in front of me and a view of the side of the building with one single tree to my left.

5. Adil

The one moment that made education click to me was understanding math from the push I got from my father. My father is very strict but also laidback man. I didn’t understand math for a long time since when i came back to the US from Ghana in the 1st grade up until the 4th. I needed a push and my dad had seen the struggles and he started helping me understand it. My dad would usually help me in the night time because of prayer times like isha at the masjid. My dad was super strict and a little rough but it made me lock in more to understand math.

6. Ife

I had found my new obsession I thought. It had been some time since I felt the ache in my muscles and behind my eyes that proved that my body was being spurred on by a pure excitement coming from no place else but my spirit. My body was kept busy wringing and squeezing those old cotton garments through ink black water, soothing to my anxious hands through its warmth. I needed more black t-shirts, and what cheaper way to obtain that than to augment what I already I thought. It was just the physical occupation I needed for the real work of mystified mental soaking to take place, in my ear reverberated the wisdom and hearty laughter of my new teachers. I was at this for hours, eagerly leeching the enlightenment of these men. I had found hope in a frozen world, I was the luckiest person alive I thought.

7. josephjin

It was as if it were yesterday, I mean, how could I forget. Spending all those days at home either in class, or in class playing a video game. I was mostly by myself as my father usually works out doors and with the covid regulations I really couldn’t go outside. Not that I knew what an outside was at this point. I haven’t gone out in nearly a month. Though it was spring, it almost felt as if it was already summer, and school was out. I was either in bed or at my desk; kicking my feet up waiting for my next class or something interesting to happen. The streets were silent, not even car crossing a bump in the road was heard. The only thing I heard was the sound of me sinking into the chair and the sounds of me putting eggs to cook on the stove while the spanish teacher yapped on, but I wasn’t paying attention at all. Although I had zoom meets, I also had games, and video to turn to the whole time.

8. andrew2005

It’s a gloomy day in mid December and I’m sitting in school on a Friday afternoon. Many students are engaged and doing something productive, while I’m staring out the window. My friend Matthew and Gio are sitting next to me. Matthew sitting to the left and Gio sitting to the right. I see my teacher sitting in the front on his computer, students on their computer doing their college essay, students talking to each other and socializing. My friend Matthew and Gio are talking about college and different internships that they already did and other programs they plan on doing. Yet here I am looking out the window, as all the noise begins to fade away. I’m staring at the cloudy sky, the train passing by, the empty football field and the tall brick buildings. The window is wide open and I feel the cold air. I don’t really hear anything, as all the noise is now gone and I’m in my own world. I start to feel a little bit of anxiety because I’m in college research class and everyone knows what they want to do or has an idea of what they want to do except for me. I feel lost, lonely, depressed and clueless in this moment. All I’m thinking about is going home, watching a show, eating and sleeping. I don’t usually think about school and my education, but in this particular moment it hit me.

9. Liubov N

During the summer of 2008, I was in my second or third year of college. After our finals, friends with similar ideas and views on life decided to go on a backpacking trip to the mountains. Whenever I think back to that trip, I can almost hear the meditative sound of the train we took.  I remember how hot it was in the cabin, and we couldn’t wait to reach our destination and the sweet scent of wildflowers and thyme in the air. The railway road wound around meadows and mountain rivers, and we eagerly stuck our hands and heads out the windows to catch this smell first, as if there might not be enough for everyone. Who we are? A bunch of slackers, bookworms, believers, cinephiles, hippies, and nerds. Students thirsty for life knowledge and adventure are looking for meaning and acceptance.  As I mentioned inside the metal train cabin is boiling hot. So hot the you can’t think straight, your hands are sweating and feet are swollen. I remember the air was so thick that it felt like we were breathing jello. It didn’t bother us much, we were looking forward to our destination and this discomfort wasn’t uncomfortable it was a part of the deal.

Sashko is talking to Anna about their finals, and how easy it was to pass.I’m smiling. Listening to the sounds of our road. I feel that I can hear how the metal melting on the roof, oh man it was hot. The I hear how couple behind the wall opening their sandwich. The smell! With the heat the smell of the food becomes our enemy and will concord us easily. Rotten sour, poisoned bitter, dangerous sweet. Be aware!

I like looking at Anna and Sashko debating about eternity. Their faces changing when they are talking existential topics. When I look at the window my eyes are resting, no focus just blurred green.

I felt happy feeling the wind in my, then, long hair. The only thing that was bothering me was my grades; I missed a lot of classes and failed a few courses. After the trip, I had to take a summer semester to catch up. And it was the last thing I wanted to do or think about. 

10. Malak

My entire outlook on capitalism and education was altered during the winter of 2021–2021, specifically in my sixth period English class. My teacher came in to begin teaching us a new topic about 12:30 in the afternoon on a chilly, windy day. My classmates, the teacher, several friends, and I were all present in the class. In that lesson, I observed a group of students putting together a four-person table for use as their group on my right and left sides. I observed text pages, pens, and pencils. A projector that displays an image and a whiteboard was placed in front of the classroom. And behind me was a wall where we used to post the notes we made in class. I was prepared to study, and I held my pen and paper in my hand.You can smell the books and papers. I can picture my teacher attempting to describe what he imagines while also requesting that we identify the objects in the picture. I got so caught up with the ideas and thoughts racing through my head throughout this scene that I missed the entire conversation. While I wasn’t forced to interact with the students, I just heard the teacher agreeing to them somewhat. I paused to think and then quickly returned to the topic of discussion in the class. I overheard students participating in the conversation and contributing their perspectives. When I heard and listened to them, I felt confused, shocked, and curious all at the same time.

11. Yenny Jimenez

I was at home in the living room with my sister and brother and law. They were seating in the black couch and I was seating in the grey couch one while a watching a serie of Netflix in the tv. It was a very hot day in the summer even the night was so hot. A few minutes later we decided to stop the serie because i had some concerns about going to college and I started to expressed to them. At that moment I was very disgusted about all the situations that I was passing through and I remember that they stop me talking and say “take the advantage of this opportunity because because we couldn’t have the same chance that you are having now.” They made me realize how important and significant is the education for many people who at my at age didn’t have this opportunity because of having to bécame young alduts.

12. J. Carlos

It is a normal afternoon during my yearly-fall visit to my grandparents’ ranch — enormous and bucolic— I am with my grandfather in the living room, an 80-year-old man, but younger than me mentally. It is 12:30 PM and we just had lunch. We started to play chess since he was insisting on beating me, as he always does. I am watching how the leaves fall down while my grandpa makes his first move. He yawns and knows that it is already over. After his same strategy, it is my turn. In spite of his stare (trying to put pressure on me), my body feels relaxed and calm, it feels in harmony. I hear the rain falling, pelting the roof to the rhythm of the wind. I try to focus on the game, but a humid odor wafts into the living room. I do not like it, although it is mixing with my grandpa’s scent, his classical perfume. I am surrounded by the most stark and banal objects, but I feel comfortable and having my grandpa right in front of me makes me happy. I see how my grandpa dozes off. I gave it a shot in the hope of catching him off his guard, but his second move killed all hope.

13. Madison

There I was surrounded by my closest, immediate family. We sat down at the circular marble kitchen table; my mother and aunt were across from me, while I sat down next to my grandmother. I recall a long period of silence, I tuned out all the crying and weeping from the room. My thoughts were the only thing I could hear. It was like a megaphone in my brain just replaying everything about that moment over and over again. Every now and then when the pressure got too much, I would tune back in to see my mom and aunt comforting each other.

14. Tyrell

On a balmy day in the summer of 2021. I had graduated the 10th grade and went on to the 11th in a month. I was sitting in my scorching room on my hard but surprisingly comfortable chair. My ceiling fan had stopped working so it was way hotter than usual and opening the window did no justice. I also live right next to the train station on a busy street so it was very loud all the time. I heard trains passing, cars honking and other vehicles were loud which usually annoyed me but I was engrossed in my thoughts about the 11th grade. I thought to myself would it be fun, how it would turn out, how I could improve, and who I would meet? I decided to go check Pupil Path the grading system for my high school to check my transcript. Even though my laptop sounded like a jet engine at the time. After struggling to log on to the website because I could never remember which password to use. I was filled with disappointment in myself because my grades weren’t as high as they used to be because I never really paid attention to them until then. I only cared about passing. I was annoyed with myself because of my lackadaisical attitude for the last school year. I thought about my future. How I wanted to go to college and make good pay. I whispered to myself that I could do better. About how would not settle for an 80 average this time. I thought to myself how I would break all the bad habits I have gotten over time. I decided I would take my classes in the eleventh grade much more seriously than had before. Also how I would my fan fixed.

15. kaylynn

I never woke up expecting havoc for the day. I was actually prepared to have a terrible day. Today was the day my mom turned herself in, I knew she was leaving before she left. My heart ached with acceptance, wishing it was something I could do to stop it. The car ride there, the car ride there wasn’t quite enjoyable. Everyone was quiet, no one spoke, all heads facing the window. I couldn’t help but to think what was going through each and every mind. I wondered how my mom felt, as we approached a McDonalds close by the court, I proceeded to ask what I couldn’t put into words, as if my mom read my mind, she held my hand tightly and ensured me everything would be okay. But it wasn’t going to be, the harsh reality was that nothing was okay. As I watched my mother approach the judge before her, my hands crawled with sweat, and my chest screamed with anxiety. Ive never had to fight so much emotion back, my body went numb as each tear fell. The look on my mothers face as she was cuffed and removed from the court room was a void I’ll never be able to fill. Not a last hug, last goodbye, just her face that said sorry in a million words.

16. Sam Bazarov

This scene was on Wednesday afternoon around 12pm outside of my school. Me and my friend came out of school little earlier, because our last two classes were canceled since the teachers was sick and they didn’t have anyone to replace them. We were standing by the exit of the school and just having a small conversation about our classes. It was snowing outside my body was shaking and I was barely able to talk. I couldn’t feel my feet anymore, they were soaking wet just because I made a dumb decision to wear sneakers in the winter. While i was standing there and talking to my friend I felt really strong smell of hot pepperoni pizza with vegetable toppings on top, i could smell almost every single ingredients of that pizza without even looking at it, a really nice smell of pepperoni, mushrooms and bell peppers. I turned around to check where that smells is coming from and it was from three guys that were walking towards us. I could hear how one of the guys was heavily breathing like he was running before that, but what was really going on is that he was just a little bit chubby and was struggling to walk on then snow.