Faculty Name | Section | Semester

KWL

1. What is your chosen topic and/or research question?
  1. K- KNOW: Set your timer for five minutes.  Write that whole time.  It is important that you don’t pause here, so if you are stuck, write “I’m stuck!” But just keep typing.  Write down everything you can about what you KNOW about this topic or question.
  1. W-WANT:  Set your timer for another five minutes.  Same thing– you’ll write that whole time.  This time, write what you WANT to know about the topic.

Here is where you do a little bit of research.  Again, time yourself– spend 10-15 minutes on the Internet looking up your topic.   

1. L-LEARNED: Another five minutes.  Again, write the whole time.  Write what you LEARNED from your 10-15 minutes of internet research.  
  1. +-STILL WANT TO KNOW: This is the most important question (but we had to do all of the above to get there!) After doing very basic internet research, what are some questions about your topic that you still want to know? It’s okay if your question has changed a little bit.  Try to come up with questions that you will be able to research for a few weeks! (Hint: NO yes or no questions)

1. yousefa05

After last weeks class I realized my question wasn’t a researchable question and now I need to think of a new one but my topic is on AI something I was thinking about doing was how did Ai affect society. Something I might do is something on the ethics but if I can’t think about a question something I will probably end up doing is something on cars

• yousefa05

Something Id be interested in learning is how AI have developed in the last couple of years especially because I know things with Chat GPT kind of sky rocketed everything else.

Something I learned was that like I said earlier the growth in AI has blew in the recent years with things like Siri chat gpt or even Tesla self driving. something I would still like to know is what was the first AI. Another one I have is, is there AI with there own thinking and thoughts

2. Chrystian Castro

My topic is about the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) and the lack of funding that the New York City Government gives to them.

What I know: Government officials do not support them, the Government stopping funding for MTA, the Governor does not like their plans, not enough funds to give, People not paying the fair when entering the subway, stations are flooding, stations breaking down, trains breaking down, extensive delays, crowdedness, hostility of the mentally challenged, homelessness within the subway, public perception of the subway, efforts that the MTA inputs within their system,

What I want to know: How can we fix the MTA, how can we get the Government’s support when it comes to funding, how can we fix the homeless situation in the subway, how can we help make the subways safer to travel, how can we make the subway more beneficial for others, how can we make the subways faster, how can we fix the stations so it would not be affected by natural causes, how can we improve the design of our trains so it can receive good public reception, how can we improve the customer’s commute, how can we convince the Governor of a plan that would benefit the system, which contractors can we contact to make a sustainable subway car that would last 10 years, how can the MTA save on the essentials that need to be spent, how can we decrease the price on new construction/plans/renovations/extensions for the subway, how can we fix the delays on the subway.

Learned: MTA has received funding for the second phase of the Second Avenue Subway, MTA plans to electrify nearly 6,000 buses, MTA losing a lot of money due to those who evade the fare gates, so plans to install new fare gates that would prevent this, plans to manufacture new subway cars for the entire system, plans to potentially expand some train lines, plans to create a new train line to help alleviate rush hour crowdedness, having officers in the subway to ensure safety for riders, renovating subway stations with ADA compatibility.

Learned: I learned that the MTA is making an effort to ensure the subway’s safety by putting officers in the stations to make sure that everyone is safe. I also know that the MTA is making some upgrades to its subway cars to allow customers to have a nicer experience without experiencing overcrowding. I also know that the MTA plans to extend some subway lines and create new ones to make sure that communities have a form of public transportation. I also learned that some factors affect the MTA such as climate change and the dangerous weather conditions that it brings.

What I still want to know: How can we fix the homelessness issue, how can we get the Government to accept its plans for construction, how can we make the subway more beneficial for others, how can we make the subways faster, how can we fix the stations so it would not be affected by natural causes, how can we improve the design of our trains so it can receive good public reception, how can we improve the customer’s commute, how can we convince the Governor of a plan that would benefit the system, which contractors can we contact to make a sustainable subway car that would last 10 years, how can the MTA save on the essentials that need to be spent, how can we decrease the price on new construction/plans/renovations/extensions for the subway, how can we fix the delays on the subway. 

3. Jordon

1) Copyright laws and the specificity of them

2) The last major copyright act (to my knowledge) was the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). It was made specifically because people felt that copyright laws were getting out of date and needed to catch up to modern times and the creation of the internet.

3) I want to know who can file a copyright claim and how those claims are handled. Also, what will happen if the claim is accepted as true? And what if it is later found out to be false? What happens to the person who made the false claim?

4) The copyright owner or someone acting on their behalf can file a claim.

The accused has to take action when they receive a DMCA claim (or however it is referred to) and either remove the copyrighted material, or fight the claim by filing a counter-notice.

There are things such as fair use, expired copyright, no copyright protecting the material, the wrong party submitted the claim, or if the accused has permission to use the material.

5) How strict or lenient can sites be with their copyright rules? Like how anyone uploads anybody else’s work on Instagram, but those posts/accounts stay up. Or how on yt, people are constantly receiving false claims, but those channels that receive a false claim, don’t have their strikes removed (after 3 strikes, the channel is gone)

Are people held accountable for false claims? How severely are they punished?

What kind of bias can be present, if any?

4. Jestine

The topic I have chosen to write about is the impact of social media on mental health, and I will be researching to see whether it has had more of a positive or negative effect. I know that nowadays, almost everyone has a phone, and while the use of social media varies from person to person, I would estimate that around 1 in 50 people have used some form of social media either currently or in the past. I am also aware that technology has led to the development of new platforms and advancements in social media over time. Social media is a very controversial discussion as depression, anxiety, and cyberbullying are just a few issues stemming from social media, as well as the fact that it is addictive and the ages using social media are getting lower and lower. However, social media also provides necessary social connections for people; it provides careers and also increases self-esteem.

I want to learn about the history of social media and mental health and how they have evolved over time. Additionally, I’m curious about the psychological reasons behind the addictive nature of social media, such as why people can get lost for hours scrolling through platforms like TikTok. I also want to find some interesting facts on this topic.

I learned over 80% of teenagers use social media, which is a shocking but believable statistic. It’s clear that technology has become an integral part of our society and is heavily affecting teenagers.

I still want to know how social media affects people of all ages. Most of the articles I’ve come across are focused on youth, but social media is used by people of all ages. Therefore, studies should take into account all age groups and compare the amount of social media usage with the different mental effects it has on people. This could help us understand how social media affects people differently at different ages.

5. Fernanda Andrade

How does postpartum depression affect kids during their development? Postpartum depression could affect the way the child develops, one of the major issues is maintaining or forming a bond with the mother and speech problems. I would like to know what are the major symptoms you should be aware of to be diagnosed with postpartum depression, Are there stages to it? If yes how many and what are they?, How badly can it affect a baby’s growing process? Can babies notice or sense the depression in their mothers?

According to the Mental health/ Postpartum depression theirs many signs to need to be aware of during and after pregnancy, as the woman’s body is put through many changes that can cause the hormones to act different, feel sadder, anxious, or overwhelmed, or feel like you don’t care of love for your child, if these feeling/emotions continued to happen it can be detected as postpartum depression, certain women are being diagnosed two weeks after giving birth.

Is there a chance the depression would appear again once the child is older? Can a mother refuse to change after overcoming postpartum depression? Can depression be passed down to the child?

6. Trever Persaud

My research question is, “How has technology impacted society?” Technology has impacted society in both good and bad ways. One good way technology has impacted society is by giving people easy access to information. For example, Whenever you have a question on any topic, you can search it online and get an answer within a few seconds. Another good way technology has impacted society is with cell phones because it saves lots of time. Whenever you need to talk to someone in another country, you just have to make a phone call, and you can speak to them. One way technology has impacted society in a bad way is with job loss because many companies replace people with machines to do their jobs for them. Technology has also caused many people to get addicted to their phones, which causes them to become depressed with their lives. Technology also causes some children to have social interaction issues since they spend lots of time on their phones and not much time with other people in the real world. Another negative impact of technology would be a lack of sleep. Technology causes a lack of sleep because many people stay up late on their phones instead of sleeping, and that causes a lot of people to get poor sleep. Something I learned from my research is technology helps people stay healthy because you can track your fitness with Apple watches. Technology also benefits people if they want to travel because if you want to book a ticket to go somewhere, you can easily do it on your phone.

7. Amber Pena

My topic is how our career goals affect us (mentally and financially). I know some people know from a young age what career they want to pursue in their future and proceed to go through college. However, Some people lose passion and become unhappy during their college experience and in their future. On the other hand, people know they are happier working with their hands and risk not going to college and having those experiences.

What I want to know about my topic is its deeper mental effects on adults. Ways people can prevent these situations from happening. Ways people can still be happy with their future.

I learned people don’t do research into all the aspects of their career job. Some include the area you work in, the people you work with, and the pay you receive. Therefore when they are working they become depressed and miserable. Financial stability becomes a factor in depression too. If you’re working too many hours and don’t have time for a relationship that affects you as well. stress level is a very big factor to consider as well. School can be very stressful but working a grown job right out of high school can be too. I still want to know why people decide on a miserable career path when they have other options ? Do people regret their choice? Can they change it if they wanted to?

8. abdou guidi

K- KNOW: Mental health is a topic that deals with the overall emotional, psychological, and social well-being of an individual. It affects how people think, feel, and act, and it also determines how individuals handle stress, make choices, and relate to others. Mental health encompasses a wide range of conditions, including anxiety disorders, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and various other mood and personality disorders.

W- WANT: I want to know more about the different types of mental health disorders, their causes, symptoms, and treatment options. I am also interested in understanding the impact of mental health on individuals, families, and society as a whole. Additionally, I would like to explore the stigma surrounding mental health and ways to promote mental well-being.

L- LEARNED: After conducting a quick internet research, I have learned that mental health disorders are highly prevalent worldwide, affecting millions of people. There are various causes of mental health disorders, including genetic factors, environmental factors, trauma, and brain chemistry imbalances. Symptoms of mental health disorders can vary widely depending on the specific condition but may include changes in mood, behavior, and thinking patterns. Treatment options for mental health disorders often involve a combination of therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It is also important to note that there is still a significant stigma associated with mental health, which can prevent individuals from seeking help and support.

+STILL WANT TO KNOW: After my basic internet research, I still want to know more about the specific strategies and interventions that can be implemented to promote mental well being. I am also curious to learn about the impact of cultural and societal factors on mental health, as well as the role of early intervention and prevention programs.