Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Teaching a Task

In both poems, Keene and Bass use technical and descriptive language to give step-by-step instructions on how to do a specific task.

Think of something you know how to do extremely well. Teach me how to do it. Like the two poems, try to include as much detail in both imagery and language as possible.

1. Chrystian Castro

One thing that I know how to do very well is to organize my personal space. I know how to do this well because I am able to organize the things that are in my room and put them in areas of where they would go. For example, for the things in my room that are related to technology, I would wrap the cables in a cable tie and make sure that it is neatly wrapped. Then, I would put the cables in a designated cabinet that I have to make sure that I know where they are and so I could go back to it when I need to use it again. For boxes, I would sometimes keep the important boxes such as one that is for an important product such as my computer and place them underneath the frame of my mattress and store them neatly. I would make sure that around my room there is always a spot for everything so I can make sure that everything is accessible to me.

2. Amber Pena

I like to sleep

When I finish eating my dinner I let it sit for a bit. I turn the lights off so it’s completely pitch black as if I live in a cave. All TV and sound-making devices including people are silent. I wear the most comfiest loose-fitted night attire. No bed is ready without a big heavy soft cloud-like quilt. No phone, no distractions. Lay down with no thought in mind and shut my eyes. Don’t open them, not even a peak. Just sleep.

3. hilary

hair is part of your representation, your daily look. The heat of the dryer makes you sweat, the steam makes you cough. Wash the hair well, treat your hair to a mask, wash it out and start to blow dry. Once it’s dry, you heat up your flat iron, once it’s to desired heat pass the iron on the hair and use a rat tail comb to chase it with. Once your done it should be silky smooth.

4. Nattali Calle

Something that I know how to do very well and will write about step by step is how to do makeup and the specific importance of moisturizing and taking care of your skin before applying any makeup product on your face. Since I was 14 years old I would love to practice makeup on my family and myself. Within time I have learned so much about makeup that I would enjoy teaching my friends and those who are interested in starting. I would write step by step what will be important and helpful before starting the process in order to help others who are young like I once was and looking for help other than youtube

5. Jestine

I’m pretty good at relaxing and taking it easy. If you’re looking for some advice on how to unwind, I’ve got a few tips that might help. First, try to find a calm and peaceful space where you can let go of your worries. Take a few deep breaths and focus on the present moment. Personally, I like to do things that are good for my body and mind. If you’re interested, here’s what I recommend: put on some comfy clothes, get cozy on the couch or in bed, and watch your favorite show or scroll through social media.

6. Akash Jungney

Something I know how to excel is handling my responsibilities in helping the people I take pictures for. Responsibility when it comes to photographers is absolutely important. When you have a plethora of pictures from different clients you work with and handling the time it takes to download, edit and process all your work. Usually it works like this: Meet with your client, take their pictures with instructions, finish and download, then examine all pictures for any mistakes, eventually delete bad ones and edit good ones, finally download them and send them out. And eventually you move to the next one you meet.

7. Jordon

Steps on how to ride a skateboard:

Materials: Board, you, flat/smooth ground and a lot of space

Find out which foot you feel most comfortable to be your front foot. Usually it should just be the one that seems like it should be at the front, whichever foot is dominant doesn’t determine which one is the front foot. The front foot is placed at the front bolts on the deck. (Every deck has a front and back, the design on the bottom is usually what will tell you). When you have the front foot in place, make it face forward. Take your other foot (the back foot) and push the ground. that probably makes no sense, but you wanna act like you’re running with that back foot only. Skating is also all about balance, so make sure to not lean too far forward or too far backward. When you start moving (don’t go too fast) place your back foot on the middle of the tail of the board. Your back foot should face outward when on the board. The front foot is also supposed to face outward, but that’s only if you can right now. Once you have your feet both on the board, next is the turning… Good luck with that, I don’t know how to explain it

8. Julia

Something that I know how to do extremely well would be having a big heart for other people. Meaning to say that I’m always there for people even when I can’t be there for myself. Sometimes my world can be crashing all the way down & yet I would still find a way to help be there for someone. Now I know what you might be thinking. What does it take to have a big heart for someone? Allow me to explain; when you have a big heart for someone or others it means you really care & you would do anything out of your way to be there for a person if they ever needed you. 

Step 1 would be that you allow yourself to care for others very easily, you always try to have an open mind & an open heart for whoever it is that needs help. Step 2 would be allowing people to have access to you 24/7. So that at any time of the day, they know that they can reach out & ask you for any advice or guidance on things that they might need it on. Step 3 is probably the most important step, have genuine & pure intentions, have nothing but positive love & energy come from your heart. Because without that? You wouldn’t care for others so easily. 

9. Jason P

Programming may looks like writing ancient text, but its really just using tools for problem solving. Sitting down in front of your monitor, you start thinking about how your problem could be solved before you even start typing. Without this step, you’ll just be typing nonsense. With your solution, you write out step by step on how to execute your solution. It could be on a text editor, some paper, or even inside the code itself. Converting from written language to machine language isnt too difficult. Don’t know how to do something? You have google.

10. Alexander Hernandez Cruz

I’m going to teach you how to make a paper boat. First, we take a sheet of paper that is not square, then we take it by the longest part so we can fold it in half (make sure it is well folded and not uneven). After that, without unfolding it, you take it again from the longer side and cut it in half again. After this, what you have to do is unfold the last step you did, and taking the paper you must put the half-open part that is facing you. When you see that you must locate the middle line that was formed and bring the corners of the upper part of the paper towards that center, trying to make a kind of triangle. Once this is finished with the leftovers from the bottom of the figure, we will fold them completely upwards to leave a triangle with some leftover peaks on the sides. Once this is finished, we must take the excess corners of a single side of the triangle we formed to put them inward and complete the triangle without corners. You have to do this also on the other side to have a perfect figure (make sure you do it well so that the figure is as perfect and resistant as possible). After this, you take the two opposite corners of the triangle and join them to form a rhombus. Once the rhombus is formed, there will be a part that will adhere to the tips of that part, you must fold them in half to the upper tip of the rhombus to form a triangle again (also on the other side). When you finish this what you have to do is put your finger on the bottom to open it and press the corners of the triangle towards each other to create a rhombus again. Finally, with the rhombus created, what you have to do is grab it by the corners at the top to open it and form the boat. Once it is formed and well stretched, just press the sides so that it maintains its shape.

11. yousefa05

im pretty good at tying shoes. I have 15 years of experience

1. cross the laces to make an x
    2. wrap one lace under the other lace and pull it through
    3. make a loop with both shoes laces
    4. wrap one of the loops under the other and pull it tight
  12. Trever Persaud

Something I know how to do well is make up my bed. The first step is smoothing out the mattress cover and fitted sheet. Next, tuck in the sheet tightly at the corners. Add the flat sheet, and if you’re using a blanket, layer it . Followed by the comforter arranging the pillows. Once you’ve done that, make sure everything is neat for a well-made bed.