Your podcast assignment is the final project for the semester. Each group will contribute a page to an OpenLab project site we will create together. Each page will contain the following elements:
- 15-20 minute podcast (audio recording)
- uploaded annotated bibliography and outline; references for any images, music, etc that you use
- a few original images (photographs or sketches produced by a group member) that illustrate the research question or theme. Images should have descriptive captions.
See the step-by-step podcast instructions from Prof. Almeida for technical assistance with recording and editing.
In addition to creating and editing an audio recording, each group will:
- Strategically incorporate or reference at least two relevant information sources.
- Provide basic metadata for your podcast including at least three descriptive keywords.
- Select a Creative Commons license to dictate how your podcast can be used by others.
This activity will be completed in 4 stages
- planning and prewriting
- research and script development
- technical production
- listening & reflection
November 27-29: planning and prewriting – in-class time to research, write, rehearse, and record; OpenLab project site creation
December 4: research and script development – in class time to write and rehearse
December 11: in class time to rehearse and record; finalize technical production; podcast scripts due during class
December 13 is reading day! Time and space for group work is available though classes do not meet
December 18: Podcast listening part I
December 20:Podcast listening part II; all content must be posted on OpenLab project site; reflections & wrap-up
Resources for recording
The Multimedia Resources Center in the City Tech library lends out USB headsets with microphones. Use your college ID to borrow a headset/mic. Headsets must be used in the library. You can borrow an iPad Mini for up to 3 days from Multimedia with your college ID.
If you need a quiet place to record, reserve a library study room. During class time, you may use the library projection room. Bring a laptop with Audacity or other recording software already installed. You can record with your phone using the voice memo app or Anchor for iOS or Android.
- Successful attempt to answer research question
- Inclusion or references made to at least two relevant information sources (articles, books, maps, films, etc.)
- Equal participation of group members in podcast recording
- Good effort made to successfully record, produce, and edit
- All required content appears on OpenLab site
- Podcast successfully uploaded to Soundcloud with images and metadata
- Podcast is between 15-20 minutes long
- All content is cited in the bibliography, including images and music
- Selection of an appropriate Creative Commons license