How Search Engines Work

I always wondered how search engines such as Google and Bing acquired the websites that pop up when you search something. Something I realized very quickly is that some websites always have a top spot on the results.  I noticed that whenever i typed in an actors name, IMDB and Wikipedia were always in the top search results.  After reading this article I now know about these Web Crawlers that fetch data from the web.  I then started to think if this was the best idea.  In the article itself it says that “20 percent of searches have not been searched for in the past 90 days.” How does this effect our results? If I am searching for some obscure information, does it mean that the best available website will be on page 5 of the results and the Wiki page with incorrect information will be the top result? I guess it is something to think about when it comes to how reliable search engines really are.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to How Search Engines Work

1. ragoo8111 says:

I would like to add that results might also be driven by money. The reason why Wikapedia might be in the first five searches, may be because its sponsers are facilitating that outcome. Dispite it’s challenged authenticity it is always there . Maybe now we should have an option like the asteric or space and perentices we use to refine results. We should have a “No Wiki” option as well. That would be interesting….