Notes from today, and reading & blogging for Wednesday 2/8

Today we discussed the landscape of digital media, including “born digital” content, differences between digital and print media, media ownership, and blogs and wikis.

On Wednesday, we’ll discuss alternative print and electronic media and welcome a guest lecturer, Prof. Susan Thomas of Long Island University. Please read the following 3 articles:

Not required, but absolutely worth reading (and very short, with many interesting images): Occupy Periodicals at the New York Public Library. It’s a blog post that summarizes alternative press publications owned by the New York Public Library (thanks, Prof. Thomas, for bringing this to my attention!)
Field trip, anyone?

Your blogging assignment is to comment on at least one blog post; I’d like to see 2-3 substantial comments that add up to 100 words rather than several short and superficial comments like “I agree!” Consider incorporating ideas from the assigned reading for this Wednesday into your comments when relevant.

Slides from today are available here.

~Prof. L.

This entry was posted in Assignments, Readings and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.