V. Lee | D076 | Spring 2022

Discussion: Introductions

Your first OpenLab Discussion assignment is to introduce yourself to your classmates.  This assignment is due Thursday, February 10th, at the start of class. Late submissions will receive partial credit.

Assignment. Add a comment in reply to this post introducing yourself to the class.  Your comment should be at least 2 paragraphs in length.  In the first paragraph, introduce yourself in whatever way you wish. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish).  In the second paragraph, choose ONE of the following two topics and write a response. Don’t forget to tell us which topic you chose.

Topics (choose ONE).

1. Was math ever your favorite subject? If so, when was it? What about math made it your favorite? If math has never been your favorite subject, what about it do you not like?
  2. Sometimes people can recognize a time when their opinion of math dramatically changed either for the better or the worse. Tell us about it.

Extra Credit. Get to know your classmates! For extra credit, write a response to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you feel the same? Did you learn anything? Do you have any advice? Be kind.

1. Mercedes Aznar

Hello. My name is Mercedes. My pronouns are she/her. I am from Argentina and have been in the United States for 15 years. I am in my last semester at CityTech. My major is Paralegal Studies. I enjoy outdoor activities during the warm months, reading novels and watching horror movies.
    Math was one of my favorite subjects in high school. I guess because I liked my teachers and I was good at it. I’ve always liked numbers. I am one of the few people who enjoy doing her taxes. I am looking forward to learn more about statistics in this class.

• Victor Lee

Enjoy doing your taxes? That is great that you mentioned this. If any of you choose to read this reply (AND YOU SHOULD), Every student should file their yearly taxes. When I was a an undergrad, I used to get about $1800-$2000 refund every year (that number is likely to change based on tax rules). That’s not a small number, especially at this stage for most of your college lives.

2. Toni Gibbings

Hi, I am Toni Gibbings, graduate June 2021 from the associate degree nursing program at City Tech. I picked Nursing because I like to help people and caring for others. Nursing school has really left much time for extracurricular activities, but I do enjoy television and reading. I also like cooking. I am mother of two awesome young adults.
    Math is not one of my favorite subjects, I have struggle with math. I can handle the basics and even some algebra, and geometry is okay. When the math gets more complicated then I get intimidated. The main issue with math is since it not my favorite I can sometimes get easily discouraged if I don’t understand something.

• Mercedes Aznar

Hi Toni. I like cooking also. It’s one of my favorite things to do for my friends and family.

• Yaritza Burgos

Hi Toni,
      I agree I also enjoy helping others and I also struggle in math. It’s my weakest subject but don’t worry you will do well. Just study as much as possible.

Good luck this semester!

• Toni Gibbings

Thanks for the encouragement Yaritza. I will study as much as possible. Good luck to you as well this semester.

• Victor Lee

There was a time when I too disliked math. Personally, I got over it by not caring and immersing myself in my classwork, but that’s me. At least while you are in this class, you can use some fancy, overpriced calculator to do all the hard computation for you. A big idea for this class is what we can infer from the from the stats.

Hopefully, you will get a better understanding of statistics in your own way.

3. Winifred Oduro

Hi, Winifred Oduro is my name and I am a Hospitality Management major and my
    academic interest are baking, cooking and traveling. I chose this program because I am very passionate about what I do and I want to know more about the industry as a whole. In addition, math was one of my favorite subjects when I was younger and it is still one of my favorite today because everything we do in life there is math in the process.

• Victor Lee

Hospitality Management… I am hoping for some freebies in the Janet Leffler Dining Room, when you get to that section. That was about the Hospitality. For the management, understanding statistics has an obvious upside, as you want to able to predict trends and make decisions based on your data. You’re right, math is in everything you do. I hope to keep you liking math.

4. Winifred Oduro

Hi everyone, Winifred Oduro is my name and I am Hospitality Management major and I graduated with an associate degree in culinary arts at Kingsborough Community College in June of 2020 and decided to do Bachelors at Citytech. My academic interests are cooking, baking and being creative. In addition math has been one of my favorite subject since I was young and is still one of my favorite because we work with mates every day of our lifes.

5. Yaritza Burgos

Hello, My name is Yaritza Burgos. I’m a student at City Tech. This is my second year at city tech. My pronouns are she/her. I’m Dominican but I was born and raised in Manhattan, New York. I recently changed my major to Human Services. I originally was interested in the Nursing program but it’s very competitive so I did some research to see what else I’m interested in so I changed my major. I’m thinking about becoming a child therapist in the future because I enjoy working with kids and I personally believe mental health is very important and isn’t talked about enough. I like to help others. I enjoy listening to music , it usually calms me and helps me cope with my anxiety. Also, I enjoy being around family and close friends.
    Personally, math isn’t my favorite subject. Since I was younger I’ve always struggled in math. Math is definitely my weakest subject. Math is very challenging for me. I get discouraged easily when I don’t understand the lesson. I try my best to remind myself that it’s a process and I need to be patient. Even though it’s very hard for me to understand and remember formulas and the steps on solving a problem I am determined to do my best in this course. I will study and practice as much as I can to pass this class.

• Michelle Wu

Hello Yaritza, nursing is extremely hard. I also feel that I wouldn’t be able to get into the major. Try your best and do what you can do. You would never know if you decide to change majors again.

• Victor Lee

So much of school life is our mindset the moment we perform any action. It’s not uncommon to come into a math course with a mindset that has been influenced by years or even decades of previous life experiences. Whenever you work, I want you to be in your ideal headspace for optimal learning; however, it is not always the case and you might not be in the mood. Yet, working successfully in those conditions yields equally valuable results.

The day I need counseling… I can see you, right?

6. Michelle Wu

Hello, my name is Michelle Wu. I was born and raised in the United States. I am an Asian American. In school, my grades were always so-so, however, I try to do what I can do. My major interest is Nursing. I enjoy helping and taking care of people. When I watched the nurses and doctors work, they were so focused on their work. I used to volunteer in the hospital.

Math is one of my favorite subjects. Growing up, I was taught how to do math and English even before I started primary school. It was fun and stressful doing mental calculations especially during exams. However, I never decided to do math as my major in college. Science sounded more interesting than math. It was like I am everything something new everyday.

• Victor Lee

Well, math is the language of science, and if you want to talk about scientific data, this class is all about being able to interpret that data or using it to inform our decisions.

7. Bri Bri

Hiii guys. My name is Briaynna .My pronouns are she/her. I am Haitian but I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I speak Haitian creole and French fluently. I love art it’s my passion! I love to draw ,sketch, sculpt you name it! I am currently in my third to last semester at city tech. . I am majoring in a bachelors for healthcare management and policies . It actually hasn’t been very easy for my to stick with a major since I came to city tech . At first it was biomedical informatics but I had no interest in it as I got into it. Next it was nursing because I really love the privilege to help people and care for them but it was very competitive so I got discouraged. The last major before I applied to my bachelors was restorative dentistry which I found peace in the hands experience .
    It’s really funny that I always loved math and science. I wasn’t really good in math as I was in science because I didn’t apply the same kind of pressures of studying to get the concept but once I changed that I understood and I seen that I was kind of good at it . My goal for this class is really challenge myself to study the concepts right the first time and to get it right the first time as well.

• Carol Zheng

I can’t agree with you anymore when you mentioned that the difficulty of sticking in a major. I kept changing my mine before as well, but I am glad I finally found one I like! I have to tell you that restorative dentistry was one of the major I was interested in!

• Victor Lee

It’s weird, because math is the language of science. Yet, as science and math have been taught, they might as well be sworn enemies to people.

Yeesh, the health sciences in City Tech are competitive, usually by nature. In the US, work in these fields have high accountability. Thus, you need to mind your p’s and q’s, and you need to be at your best.

Restorative dentistry? Are you going to be angry about the Arizona can I tend to bring to class? It’s almost tradition that at least one dentistry student lectures me about it. 😀

8. Carol Zheng

Hi all! My name is Carol. Today is the first day of Chinese New Year, I wish you all the best!

I just finished dental hygiene program last summer. I am currently working in a dental office as a hygienist, and I pretty enjoy doing it so far. I chose to be a hygienist because I realized that a lot of people are lack of knowledge about the importance of their oral health, and hygienist is playing an important role for educating patients, providing preventive treatments. Most people come to see a dentist when they have toothache, and usually when the tooth starts hurting them it is too late to do any preventative treatment. It usually progresses to a major or invasive treatment, and of course it will cost more!

As a hygienist, I am strongly committed to life-long learning. I am currently majoring in health service administration program for my bachelors degree. Before entering this program, I had heard that how terrible STATISTICS it is. One of my friend had mentioned that statistics was her nightmare, I hope it is not mine!

A lot of people might have the stereotype that Asian people are good at math, unfortunately I am not! If you ask me I like math or not, I would say no. I don’t really like numerical things, it always gives me a lot of headache. Doing things I don’t enjoy is always a challenge, I hope I will be doing fine in the class! Wish me luck!

• Victor Lee

Happy New Year to you too! ALL OF YOU! No, I do not give out red envelopes.

I do not fear statistics… statistics is our friend. So what if the pain subsides? Am I in the clear or has something more sinister appeared? Now you’re scaring me about my decades of Arizona can consumption… you can probably cite statistics about it.

9. ruizhao

Hello everyone, my name is Ruizhao Chen.I am from China and have been in the United States about 12year. I am a person who is very love sport ,I very love to play basketball and 8 pool.My major is computer science. I am a very quiet guy.Math is the one of my best subject.Also I am a Shoes collectors like yeezy and air jodan. I hope everyone doing great at this semester!

• Victor Lee

I’m going to really get bodied by my student at the school pool table on General Building 4th Floor, aren’t I? I am too old to get wrecked in basketball, anyway; my ankles have been broken too many times.

Which pool hall do you prefer to play at?

• Mercedes Aznar

There is a pool table on the 4th floor? In our building? I’ve never seen it. Is this new?

• Victor Lee

4th floor general building, past the library.

• Mercedes Aznar

I’ll definitely check it out!

10. Derek Carlozama

Hi my name is Derek Carlozama and this is my 2nd year at citytech. I born and I was Rasied here in Queens, NY. My Major is Technology Education. Why I choose this major because im fastniated with desgin, coding things. I am good at problem solving of equations.
    In my spare time I like to play video games.

Yes math is favorite and it was since end of 2016. The favorite about math is multistep equations,pemdas, evaluate equations, doing problems with Hypotenuse, opposite, and adjacent.

• Victor Lee

Ah, a fellow gamer… Unfortunately stats are a different animal than algebra and geometry. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask me.

11. Aniya

Hi I’m My name is Aniya. Math used to be my favorite subject until i was introduced to AP calc in HS. However since it’s been so long since I’ve actually done math i know things would be a little rocky for me. I’ve noticed the way that i learn is in steps and once i get those steps memorized or understanding the meaning of things then i should be fine.

• Victor Lee

You raise a very interesting theme… math in terms of “steps”… Not that it’s a bad thing. Steps can only go so far as your knowledge of how, when, and why to use them at a given moment.

The real question metacognitively speaking is whether you will understand the reasons why when we discuss it, or whether you will understand why after doing it enough times on your own. That is up to your learning style.

12. Steven C

Hi, I am Steven Caisaguano. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. My parents are from Ecuador. I speak Spanish and English. I’m a freshman, This is my second semester of college. My first semester my major was electrical engineering. I didn’t really like it so I switch to Architecture because It was my other option for a major so I decided to give it try. I’m into sport mainly soccer I like to watch and play when I can with some of my friends.

At the start of my education math was a hard subject for me to understand which is why I struggled a lot. But this one professor in middle school she really help me be better at math by helping me step by step and ever since math became my favorite subject, I like solving problems and using different techniques to solve the problem. The only math class I struggled with was geometry in HS other math classes I did great.

13. Jessica L

Hello, my name is Jessica Leon. My pronouns are she/her. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY but my parents are both from Ecuador. This is my second semester in City Tech and I’m hoping to get into the nursing program which I am currently taking my pre-requisites for. Before deciding to emerge myself into nursing as my career path I went to school and earned my Medical Assistant certification, got married and became a mommy to an incredible baby boy who just turned 10-month-old. I love the warm weather and enjoy going on hike or long walks when it’s nice out, I enjoy putting together or solving any kind of puzzle.
    Math has always been one of my favorite subjects, because I’m so detail oriented and I like things to just click together, math typically came fairly easy for me. Math is just one huge puzzle that keeps getting harder and harder the more you choose to learn and that’s has always been my what I liked about it.

14. Kayla

Hey everyone, my name is Kayla and this is my sophomore year at city tech. I am currently an aspiring nursing major. Taking care of people has always been my strong suit. So I decided that nursing would be one of the man career choices I can excel in. I’m also one of those few people that was excited to be back in person due to the lack of human interaction. Even though some of you may realize I’m quiet, I’m really easy to talk to.

Growing up math was always my favorite subject until I was introduced to Geometry in the 9th grade. I loved the process of getting the answer. The constant writing until you came down to one solid answer. However, when I entered geometry it was a terrible experience. I had a mediocre teacher that wasn’t able to fully articulate the concepts of geometry. He wasn’t helpful and didn’t offer tutoring. I failed the regents multiple times after and my love for math hasn’t been the same after that.