The terms that I need to define when reading Rhetoric of the Image by Roland Barthes:
- Anchorage is the text that provides the link between the image and the context.
- Connoted – Figuratively- the use of the word as its association and not necessarily based on the literal definition.
- Diegesis – a narrative or plot, typically in a movie.
- Lexicon – the vocabulary of a person, language, or branch of knowledge.
- Imitari – Image has its roots in the Latin word imitari, meaning “to copy or imitate”.
- Metalanguage – multiple phrases, used to describe another language.
- Polysemy – the coexistence of many possible meanings for a word or phrase.
Leave a Reply