Tabarka Tamkin- February 4th

Rudimentary communication methods are relevant for contemporary information systems because After reading the text I learned a lot about the designers and the way they explained how the technology is becaming the part of designers’ lives. As Helen Armstrong talks in her text “ Introduction: Revisiting the Avant-Garde from Graphic Design Theory: Readings from the Field: ArmstrongIntro” about “Technology is fundamentally altering our culture” and she talks about the issues that graphic designers will face and 1 of them is social responsiblities. I get intrest in reading the Social Responsibility part because now days I think most designers try to design their works using the global awareness and giving messages. In reading, Armstrong talks about social responsibilty as “As the field shifted towards a more subjective design approach, a social responsibility movement emerged in the 1990s and 2000s. Graphic designers joined meadia activists to revolt against the dangers of consumer culture.” Graphic designers not only using their designs to show it to public but also having a big responsibilty convey what message they are giving to public that shape the society. The positive message like global awareness can help shape the society and culture in a positive way.

Contemporary designers should concerns themselves with archaic writing, counting, or printing techniques because In the reading “Ellen Lupton & J. Abbott Miller, Counting Sheep, Period Styles, Language of Dreams and Language of Vision from Design Writing Research: Writing on Graphic Design: LuptonMillerDesignWritingResearch”. Lupton and Miller talk about the “Many historians view phonetic scripts as the most advanced stage in the development of writing.” When I read Phonetic, I remember that in my typography class I learned about the Phoenicians Alphabet came around 1200 B.C.E and that was the time when written communication evolved by not using the objects however using signs or image that represents the sound of speech. As I was reading this text by lupton and Miller, I get to understand in details that communication is evolving over the time. I also get to know about the Archaic writing where it is similar to know we use D “D is half of the symbol, an ancient form of the sign for one thousand.” As for the natural counting part I really like that part of reading where Ancient use the human body to Count and Calculating. “The whole body can become a set of symbols for representing numbers.” This techniques was used by the Papuan natives. As I read the Period style, It was hard for me to read because the Greek and Roman had no small letters and the Alphabets were all capitals. They also had the same heights that they measure and set the block. “A HIGH DOT SET OFF THE LONGEST UNIT.” . In first line there was no space between letters until in 19th century the space came with dots between them. and then it started to evolve. Now, the technology made it easier for us to use. We can set the height, wieght of letter and the style on technolgy as we want.

The facts from texts provoke ideas for developing new design strategies. I believe this facts provoke that “Delving into theoretical discussion that engage both our past and our present is good start.” because as Lupton and Miller talk about the history of writing and communication methods evolve and technologies came. Armstrong talks about the issues that can give new ideas strategies to designers.