fix_animations

What I currently do is polish up sprite animations. But you might be asking your self, what is a sprite animation? A sprite is a single graphic image that is incorporated into a larger scene so that it appears to be part of the scene.

So if you have ever taken Graphic Design History, a man named Eadweard Muybridge might ring a bell. Eadweard Muybridge took a series of cameras along a track and took a quick succession of photos of a horse running by.

horse_running

The series of these quick succession changing images give us the illusion of movement. In game design we call this a sprite sheet. Right under you will see a sprite sheet of a walking animation cycle. sprite_sheet

Each sprite here is a frame and if you align each frame in order you create a continuous movement!

walk_stick_man_animation

Sprite sheets can contain more frames for any single animation. Right below not only do I have the walking sprites, but also the running sprites.sprite_sheet_v2

run_stick_man_animation

Sprite sheets can be as simple as my grey stick man or as a complicated photo realistic sprite. But with this technique we are able to give the illusion of life in our games.