Problem 4 – F2M

td_project04.xlsx – Sheet1

Definition

Our groups problem definition was that we wanted to keep our cost and budget down. To construct a seamless realistic set, to be delicately painted and detailed within time allotted. Then transporting the set in hopes that conditions are dry and with planned routes. And finally installing the set safely and efficiently. I think the problem was a little bit harder to understand than the other problems that we had, but I think we were able to hit the mark. I think when we learned that we had to make a prototype that I started to rethink some things and once I had finished making the tree I feel that our budget could of splurged on buying a tree. I think our main issue was first keeping the budget under and than trying to make our tree work. Our problem solving strategy was to find the cheapest solutions as possible. The tree was one of the hardest things for me personally because I went back to making things more complicated than they should of been. Thankfully we were able to make it more simple halfway through. Another thing that was hard was having on of our partners having to leave our group due to his own issues and thus leaving us to decipher what he wrote, but alas we were able to pick it up. What was easy was doing the labor cost. One thing that we started out with was buying the hardwood floor, but to save money we decided that we would be better off just painting the floor to look like hardwood. 

Analysis

Real world situations would be that we actually had a budget to work with, that we had a script and have to figure out what was the working elements were and try to figure out how to make them work for the scenes. I think something that would be different would be that we would have an actual designer drawings to work from to actually figure out what look they were going for. I would say another thing that would be different would would be that there would be a client or director that would specify what effects they would want. What was missing was again the safety elements and designer choices. 

Application

I learned that its better to just let someone take the lead and learn from their mistakes than to continuously butt heads and get no where. I also was reminded that out in the real world that you will work with people that you don’t really see eye to eye well with and just have to suck it up and get the project over with. I expect this to be at every job I ever have.